Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS
ATLANTA - Atlanta United forward Josef Martinez was voted the MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS by members of the media for the month of August.
The 26-year-old forward scored six goals in five league matches while extending his MLS record goalscoring streak to 13 matches, which ranks third all-time across the world. The reigning MLS MVP has scored 23 goals and is tied for second in the Golden Boot race.
Outside of regular season play, Martinez scored the game-winning goal in Atlanta's 3-2 Campeones Cup victory over Liga MX side Club América on Aug. 14, finishing a penalty kick to give the club its second ever trophy. Two weeks later, Martinez and Atlanta defeated Minnesota United FC 2-1 to win the U.S. Open Cup on Aug. 27, helping Atlanta win its third trophy and secure a berth to the 2020 Concacaf Champions League.
In the club's first match of the month on Aug. 3, Martinez scored a penalty in the 72nd minute in a 3-0 win over LA Galaxy at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. In the next league match against NYCFC on Aug. 11, Martinez broke a pair of records while scoring a brace in a 2-1 win. Martinez's powerful header in the 42nd minute marked the 10th consecutive league match in which he scored, breaking his own record of nine the year prior. He also added a penalty kick in the second half, reaching 20 goals in 2019 and 70 career regular season goals, which surpassed the most for any MLS player in a three-year span. With the win, the club ran its home unbeaten streak to 11 consecutive matches.
After a pin-point through ball from Julian Gressel, Martinez scored a curling shot from outside of the box less than a minute into the second half in Atlanta's 2-0 road win at Portland on Aug. 18. He again scored from outside of the box to beat Orlando 1-0 on Aug. 23 for the club's fourth consecutive win.
Martinez ended the month scoring at Philadelphia on Aug. 31 with a cool finish following a brilliant give-and-go with Darlington Nagbe.
After winning the award in July, Martinez won the award in back-to-back months for the second time after he accomplished the feat in July and August in 2018. This marks his sixth Player of the Month award in three seasons as he also won it twice in 2017 (March and September). MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS is voted upon by a panel of select national media members in a process conducted by MLS Communications.
Atlanta United faces Columbus Crew SC Saturday, Sept. 14 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (7:00 p.m. ET, FOX Sports Southeast).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 10, 2019
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to League Play After FIFA Break - Houston Dynamo
- Two D.C. United Academy Coaches Kick off Yearlong Educational Program in Partnership with French Football Federation - D.C. United
- Kevin Gilmore to Get His Head Shaved Live on Television - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Hosts San Jose in Midweek Clash at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Seattle Professional Sports Teams Unite to Support Play Equity in King County - Seattle Sounders FC
- Eighth Annual Canadian Armed Forces Appreciation Day Set for September 15 - Toronto FC
- Ribbon Cutting Officially Launches Primepoint Club at Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Forward Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Over 30 Celebrities to Play in 'Caps Legends & Stars Charity Match - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Academy Coach Steven Covino Named 1 of 20 MLS Youth Academy Coaches to Take Part in World-Class Training Program - Atlanta United FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo Preview - Minnesota United FC
- 20 MLS Youth Academy Coaches Kick off Yearlong Educational Program in Partnership with French Football Federation - MLS
- Houston Dynamo and Dash Invest in Extreme Networks' Wi-Fi 6 Solution to Create Fan-Focused Digital Experiences - Houston Dynamo
- Brian Fernandez, Portland Timbers Channeling D.C. United's Magical 2018 Run - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Foundation Launches GA 100 Campaign to Build up to 100 Mini-Soccer Pitches Throughout Georgia
- Atlanta United Falls 2-0 against Chicago Fire FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United and Atlanta Falcons Acquire OhmniLabs Robots to Support Community Relations Efforts
- Atlanta United Defeat FC Dallas 1-0