Real Salt Lake Hosts San Jose in Midweek Clash at Rio Tinto Stadium
SANDY, Utah - After 11 days away from regular season action, Real Salt Lake now welcomes the San Jose Earthquakes to Rio Tinto Stadium on Wednesday, September 11 at 7:30p MT. The midweek clash can be seen live on KMYU and the KSL TV app and on the radio on ESPN700.
Tickets to Wednesday's match start at just $15 at RSL.com or by calling 844.REAL.TIX.
RSL returns to action for the first time in 11 days due to the FIFA international window that saw nine of the club's players participate for their national teams. Albert Rusnák (Slovakia), Sam Johnson (Liberia), Jefferson Savarino (Venezuela) and Corey Baird (USA) all spent time with their senior national teams while the U.S. U-23s called in Justen Glad, Aaron Herrera, Brooks Lennon and Sebastian Saucedo and David Ochoa also joined the U.S. U-20s for its camp.
In 2019, RSL has amassed a 10-3-1 (31 points) home record ahead of Wednesday's contest, including a recent 2-1-0 (6 points) home swing prior to its visit to the Portland Timbers. Entering Wednesday's match with the Earthquakes, RSL owns a 5-3-7 (22 points) all-time home record over San Jose marked by a +12 goal differential. The last time RSL welcomed San Jose to Sandy the two sides played to a 1-1 draw that saw MF Damir Kreilach and Danny Hoesen trade goals in the second half to see both sides walk away with a point apiece.
How to Follow Real Salt Lake vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Wednesday, September 11, 2019
- Coverage Begins: 7:00 p.m. MT
- Local TV: KMYU w/ David James (play-by-play), Brian Dunseth (color) & Samantha Yarock (sideline)
- Digital Streaming: KSL TV app
- English Radio: ESPN700 with Bill Riley (play-by-play) & Jay Nolly (color)
- Spanish Radio: N/A
RSL enters the match seeing 11 different players notch goals for the club. The team is led in scoring by Designated Player FW Sam Johnson and MF Albert Rusnák with nine goals apiece and Rusnák adding an additional five assists.
2018 RSL Golden Boot winner MF Damir Kreilach has remained a steady presence in the midfield for RSL in 2019, providing four goals and five assists in 25 starts this season. Playmaker FW Jefferson Savarino has seven goals and five assists to his name, enough to earn a call-up to the Venezuelan Men's National Team for the 2019 Copa America in Brazil this summer.
On the backline, DF Nedum Onuoha has been a mainstay at centerback in his first full season with the club, featuring in 22 of the club's 28 matches thus far. The former Manchester City and Queens Park Rangers defender has seen been paired alongside Homegrown DFs Justen Glad, Erik Holt and Marcelo Silva and on occasion, MF Nick Besler. On both sides of the backline, Homegrown DFs Aaron Herrera, Brooks Lennon and Donny Toia have battled for starting positions at right and left back. Herrera leads the defensive group in matches played in 2019 having featured in 26 of RSL's 28 matches and leads the team in minutes played with 2,228.
In goal, legendary GK Nick Rimando has featured in 24 matches in 2019, earning eight shutouts. Prior to the commencement of the season, Rimando announced that 2019 - his 20th season in MLS would be his last and was recently selected by MLS Commissioner Don Garber for the 2019 MLS All-Star game in Orlando, Florida on July 31. On July 6, Rimando became the first player in MLS to start and play in 500 regular season matches as he continues to set the bench mark for players across the league. GK Andrew Putna has also seen action in goal this season, starting four of RSL's 18 matches while earning one shutout on the year in RSL's dominant 3-0 victory over 2019 expansion side FC Cincinnati on April 19.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 10, 2019
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to League Play After FIFA Break - Houston Dynamo
- Two D.C. United Academy Coaches Kick off Yearlong Educational Program in Partnership with French Football Federation - D.C. United
- Kevin Gilmore to Get His Head Shaved Live on Television - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Hosts San Jose in Midweek Clash at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Seattle Professional Sports Teams Unite to Support Play Equity in King County - Seattle Sounders FC
- Eighth Annual Canadian Armed Forces Appreciation Day Set for September 15 - Toronto FC
- Ribbon Cutting Officially Launches Primepoint Club at Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Forward Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Over 30 Celebrities to Play in 'Caps Legends & Stars Charity Match - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Academy Coach Steven Covino Named 1 of 20 MLS Youth Academy Coaches to Take Part in World-Class Training Program - Atlanta United FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo Preview - Minnesota United FC
- 20 MLS Youth Academy Coaches Kick off Yearlong Educational Program in Partnership with French Football Federation - MLS
- Houston Dynamo and Dash Invest in Extreme Networks' Wi-Fi 6 Solution to Create Fan-Focused Digital Experiences - Houston Dynamo
- Brian Fernandez, Portland Timbers Channeling D.C. United's Magical 2018 Run - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Preview: Real Salt Lake Visits New England Revolution
- Statement Regarding Mike Petke Lawsuit
- Real Salt Lake Downed 3-1 at Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Visits Minnesota United FC in Maiden Voyage to Allianz Field
- Real Salt Lake Defeats San Jose Earthquakes 1-0