John Grant Jr. breaks all-time scoring record in Outlaws' 18-16 win over Atlanta Blaze
Attackman John Grant Jr. broke Major League Lacrosse's all-time scoring record (reg. and postseason) in the Denver Outlaws' 18-16 road win over the Atlanta Blaze on Saturday. Grant Jr. entered the game with 595 career points and topped Paul Rabil's mark of 596 following a goal and an assist in the first half of Saturday's matchup. The win improved Denver to 2-1 on the season while Atlanta fell to 1-1.
Midfielder Zach Currier was the Outlaws' leading scorer in the game with three goals and one assist. Rookie attackmen Kyle Killen scored a hat trick in his MLL debut, and forwards Chris Aslanian (2 goals, 1 assist), Grant Jr. (1 goal, 2 assists), Brendan Kavanagh (1 goal, 2 assists) and Mikie Schlosser (2 goals, 1 assist) all totaled three points as well.
Atlanta scored the game's first two goals before Grant Jr. opened the scoring for the Outlaws for the third time in as many games this season. With the game tied 5-5 in the opening minutes of the second quarter, Grant Jr. assisted Kavanagh's lone goal of the night for the record-breaking point. The Blaze closed the quarter with a 5-2 scoring run and took a 10-8 lead into the halftime break.
A back-and-forth third period saw the Outlaws hold a 15-14 lead heading into the fourth quarter, but Atlanta tied the game at 16-16 with 5:57 to play. Currier scored the game-winning goal on the following Outlaws possession and Killen netted the insurance goal in the game's closing seconds.
Denver will have two weeks off before returning to action on Thursday, June 27 in the home opener against the Dallas Rattlers.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from June 10, 2019
- John Grant Jr. breaks all-time scoring record in Outlaws' 18-16 win over Atlanta Blaze - Denver Outlaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Outlaws Stories
- Denver Outlaws to Host Dallas Rattlers in Home Opener on Thursday
- Altitude Sports Network to Air All Remaining 2019 Denver Outlaws Games Live
- John Grant Jr. breaks all-time scoring record in Outlaws' 18-16 win over Atlanta Blaze
- Outlaws Win Third MLL Championship with Victory over Dallas Rattlers
- Denver Outlaws Lose 24-22 to Chesapeake BayHawks in Back-and-Forth Game on Sunday