John Bowman Named Among CFL Players of the Week
Montreal - Montreal Alouettes defensive end John Bowman continues to prove that he ages as well as fine wine, as the 37-year-old veteran was named among the CFL players of the week.
Bowman, who is in his 14th season with the Alouettes, registered five defensive tackles, including two quarterback sacks, in Montreal's 21-16 victory over the BC Lions Friday, at Percival Molson Memorial Stadium. Bowman also forced a fumble during the game.
His second sack of the evening, which was the 130th of his career, happened at a crucial occurence as the Lions were trying to put together a winning drive in the final 30 seconds of the game. Bowman tackled quarterback Mike Reilly eight yards behind the line of scrimmage forcing a long third down. On the following play, Reilly threw an incomplete pass which cemented the Alouettes victory.
In ten games this season, Bowman amassed 30 defensive tackles and four sacks. He has now reached the 30-defensive tackle mark for the eighth time in the last nine seasons.
He was chosen by a panel of judges who independently send their selections to the CFL head office. The panel includes former Canadian Football League players Matt Dunigan and Duane Forde of TSN and Pierre Vercheval of RDS.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from September 10, 2019
- West Division Rookie of the Year Jordan Williams-Lambert Returns, Signs Extension - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Geter Joins Practice Roster - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Defensive Lineman Added to Practice Roster - Calgary Stampeders
- Alouettes make Adjustments to Practice Roster - Montreal Alouettes
- Eskimos Release Pair from Practice Roster - Edmonton Eskimos
- John Bowman Named Among CFL Players of the Week - Montreal Alouettes
- Cameron Walker Joins Practice Roster - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Shaw CFL Top Performers Named for Week 13 - CFL
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.