Jeremy Peña Puts on Power Display in Skeeters Walk-Off Win
(SUGAR LAND, Texas) - Jeremy Peña hit three home runs, including a walk-off two-run shot with two outs in the ninth, leading the Sugar Land Skeeters to an 8-7 win over the Albuquerque Isotopes on Tuesday night at Constellation Field.
Peña, who's rated as the Houston Astros' No. 4 overall prospect, per MLB.com, hit a line drive over the batter's eye in center field off Isotopes right-hander Justin Lawrence to send the Skeeters to the walk-off win in their regular-season finale. It was the Skeeters' first walk-off homer of the year and their seventh overall walk-off win in 2021.
Over his last 13 games, Peña has belted eight home runs to go with 15 RBIs, while hitting .453 (24x53). He became just the second player in Skeeters history - including their nine seasons as an independent franchise - to hit three home runs in game. Jake Meyers became the first Skeeters player to hit three homers in a game, doing so on June 20 at El Paso.
The Skeeters mounted a comeback after the Isotopes went up 4-0 in the first inning off Skeeters starter Brett Conine. Peña's first home run - a two-run blast - came in the third as part of a four-run inning to tie the game at 5-5. Taylor Jones provided the game-tying hit, a two-run homer down the left field line. It was Jones' seventh home run with the Skeeters this season.
Peña struck again with an inside-the-park home run to give the Skeeters a 6-5 lead in the fifth inning, sending a fly ball off the wall in right-center that ricocheted toward left field. It was the first inside-the-park home run for the Skeeters as a Triple A franchise.
Joshua Fuentes put Albuquerque back up with an RBI single in the sixth off Bryan Abreu and a go-ahead solo homer in the eighth off Riley Ferrell.
Drew Butera led off the ninth with a hit by pitch, and after strikeouts from Marty Costes and Pedro León, Peña delivered the game-winning homer. Enoli Paredes, who struck out one through a scoreless top of the ninth, received the win.
Following a Wednesday off day, the Skeeters join the rest of Triple A teams in the beginning of the 10-game Triple A Final Stretch. The Skeeters open with a five-game away series against the El Paso Chihuahuas, beginning at 8:05 p.m. on Thursday night at Southwest University Park.
Tickets for the rest of the Skeeters' 2021 regular season - including the Triple A Final Stretch - are on sale and can be purchased by visiting sugarlandskeeters.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A West League message board...
Triple-A West League Stories from September 22, 2021
- Isotopes Unveil "Watermelon Walk-Off" - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Salt Lake Bees Host Sacramento in Final Stretch - Salt Lake Bees
- Skeeters Set to Enter Triple A Final Stretch - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Salt Lake Wraps up Road Trip - Salt Lake Bees
- "Bulls in the Ballpark" Returns to Dell Diamond November 5-6 - Round Rock Express
- Dickerson homers, Krizan scores thrice in River Cats' series-clinching victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Tally Record-Breaking Six Triples in 19-4 Win over Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Katoh Headlines Chihuahuas Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Jeremy Peña Puts on Power Display in Skeeters Walk-Off Win - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Tacoma Concludes 73-47 Regular Season with 8-4 Loss at El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Fall Victim to Peña's Heroic Night in Series Finale - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sugar Land Skeeters Stories
- Constellation Field to Host Purdue Baseball Series
- Hallmark Movie Night Highlights Week 5 of Sugar Land Holiday Lights
- Ugly Sweater Night and Ladies Night Coming to Sugar Land Holiday Lights
- Astros & Constellation Announce Long-Term Extension to Naming Rights of Sugar Land Home Ballpark
- 2021 Sugar Land Holiday Lights Tickets on Sale