Jensen Voted Into Pirates Hall Of Fame, Presented By Unum
Portland, Maine - The Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League announced today that Chris Jensen will be the 13th member of the Portland Pirates Hall of Fame, presented by Unum.
Jenson, who secured the honor through an on-line and in arena fan vote, will be inducted on Saturday, March 27th when the Pirates face-off against the Springfield Falcons at 7 p.m. at the Cumberland County Civic Center.
"It's a big honor and I don't know how else to put it," Jensen said when informed of his selection. "When I was told I was being considered I went on line and checked out the list of Hall of Fame members. I played with a lot of the guys that are already in and with the names that I saw, I know I'm in great company. Being selected into the Pirates Hall of Fame is more of a surprise than anything else. It's an unexpected and a great honor. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about my playing days very often but when I do, Portland is always my favorite."
Jensen brought his veteran leadership, his imposing slap shot and superior passing skills to the inaugural Pirates season and was instrumental in the team's 1994 Calder Cup victory by scoring 16 points in 16 playoff games. In two seasons with the Pirates (1993- 94 and 1994-95), Jensen collected 68 goals and 70 assists for 138 points in 123 games. His 68 goals are the seventh most in franchise history. The now 46 year-old was originally selected 78th overall by the New York Rangers in the 1982 NHL Entry Draft and went on to play 74 NHL games with the Rangers and the Philadelphia Flyers registering 21 points.
"We are pleased to welcome Chris as the 13th member of the Pirates Hall of Fame, presented by Unum," said Pirates Managing Owner/CEO Brian Petrovek. "He enjoyed a lengthy professional career, two outstanding seasons in Portland and was a key component in leading the Pirates to the Calder Cup Championship in 1993-94 and as a result of his accomplishments, is a great addition to our family of Hall of Famers."
Jensen, who works for an excavation company taking care of heavy equipment, currently lives in Minneapolis/St. Paul with his wife, Shannon, and two sons Jordan and Kyle.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2010
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Jeff Penner Recalled By Boston Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Announce Details Of Uncle Bob's Self Storage 'Uncle Of The Year' Contest - Syracuse Crunch
- First Place Sharks Return Home For Three Pivotal Games This Week - Worcester Sharks
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Begin Six-Game Road Trip - Grand Rapids Griffins
- First-Place Bulldogs Look To Continue Season-High Winning Streak - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues March 10 At Buffalo Wild Wings - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Playoff Push Continues At Scope This Week - Norfolk Admirals
- Shark Warning In Effect For Rest Of Atlantic - AHL
- Sulzer Recalled By Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Senators Sign Defenceman Brian Lee To A Two-Year Contract - Binghamton Senators
- Aucoin Signs New Two-Year Contract - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Sabourin Returns To Providence, Dalton Reassigned To Reading - Providence Bruins
- Heat Make Roster Moves - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany's Jerome Samson Named Reebok/AHL Player Of The Week - AHL
- Forney Sent To Gwinnett - Chicago Wolves
- Jensen Voted Into Pirates Hall Of Fame, Presented By Unum - Portland Pirates
- IceHogs Pick Up Point In Three Of Four In Week 23 - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Moose Sit Fourth In North - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Hot Sheet - Abbotsford Heat
- Bears Clinch 2010 Playoff Spot And Reach 100 Points - Hershey Bears
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Moose To Honor Military March 13th Vs. Rockford - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins To Pump Gas For Charity Tomorrow - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hamilton Recalls Maxime Lacroix From Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At Tully's Good Times March 10 - Syracuse Crunch
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.