James Summers Becomes First Signed Player in Oilers Football History
Tulsa, Okla. - Tulsa Oilers Football, proud member of the IFL, announced on Monday the first player signing in franchise history, inking quarterback James Summers.
Summers (28) transferred from Hinds Community College after his sophomore year, to East Carolina University playing his junior and senior seasons for the Pirates, switching positions from wide receiver to quarterback. During Summers junior year, he compiled 1,129 yards of total offense, 112.9 yards-per-game, and was responsible for 13 touchdowns in ten games at quarterback. The former wide receiver, now quarterback, proved to be a versatile athlete, getting time at the running back position. Between running back and quarterback, the 6'3 dual threat was the team's second-leading rusher after picking up 446 yards on 96 attempts for 4.6 yards-per-rush. The Greensboro native would almost double his total yards on the ground from his junior to his senior year, with 869 yards rushing. Summers would account for eight touchdowns, seven with his feet and one through the air.
After his college career, the former ECU Pirate signed an undrafted free agent contract with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals in 2017 and the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2018.
Summers becomes the first signed player in Tulsa Oilers Football franchise history.
The Oilers will begin their inaugural season in 2023.
Tulsa Oilers Football Season and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the front office at 918-632-7825 or visit www.tulsaoilersfootball.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Indoor Football League message board...
Indoor Football League Stories from September 22, 2022
- James Summers Becomes First Signed Player in Oilers Football History - Tulsa Oilers
- Fighters Re-Sign Offensive Lineman Noah Johnson - Frisco Fighters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Oilers Stories
- Todd Walkenhorst Joins Oilers as Team Analyst
- Luis Class Becomes the Newest Coaching Hire for the Oilers
- Tulsa Oilers Football to Host Open Try-Out
- James Summers Becomes First Signed Player in Oilers Football History
- Oilers Add Joshua Resignalo as Offensive Coordinator