Izturis activated from the disabled list
EDMONTON, AB - The Edmonton Trapper Baseball Club announced today that infielder Maicer Izturis has been activated from the seven-day disabled list. Izturis was originally placed on the DL on June 7 with a right hamstring strain. Edmonton's roster currently stands at 24 players; 11 pitchers, three catchers, five infielders and five outfielders, plus four players (right-hander Seung Song, right-hander Christian Parker, infielder Henry Mateo and infielder Scott Hodges) on the disabled list.
Izturis, 23, is batting .347 (61-for-176) with two home runs and 20 RBI in 46 games with the Trappers this season. The native of Barquisimeto, Venezuela is currently fifth in the PCL in batting and fourth in on-base-percentage (.443). He split the 2003 season between Double-A Akron, where he batted .280 (61-for-218) with one home run and 20 RBI in 53 games and Triple-A Buffalo, where he hit .262 (79-for-301) with two home runs and 29 RBI in 85 games. Izturis was originally signed as a non-drafted free agent by the Cleveland Indians on April 1, 1998. He was acquired by the Montreal Expos, along with outfielder Ryan Church, in exchange for left-handed pitcher Scott Stewart on January 5, 2004. His brother Cesar is the shortstop for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The next Trapper home game will be on Saturday, June 26 when the club will take on the Portland Beavers. The game will begin at 7:05 PM. Tickets for all regular season home games are on sale and can be purchased through Ticketmaster at 451-8000. For more information call 414-4450.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 20, 2004
- Sounds Drop Series Finale To Isotopes - Nashville Sounds
- Beavers, limited to three hits, ride Quintero's ninth-inning homer to victory - Portland Beavers
- River Cats nipped by Rainiers, 3-2 - Sacramento River Cats
- Sidewinders win with help of D-backs on rehab - Tucson Sidewinders
- Sox Take 2nd Straight from 1st Place I-Cubs - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Izturis activated from the disabled list - Edmonton Trappers
- River Cats continue torrid pace - Sacramento River Cats
- Beavers make it two in a row - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.