IronBirds Fall to Brooklyn, 9-2
(ABERDEEN, MD) - Brooklyn used a pair of homers to down the Aberdeen IronBirds 9-2 at Ripken Stadium on Friday evening.
Brooklyn (6-1) increased their win streak to four games after scoring eight runs on 11 hits, while the Birds (3-4) offense remained subtle with a pair of runs on three hits.
Four Cyclones collected multi-hit games including Ralph Henriquez who went 2-4 with a home run to right field in the second inning to give Brooklyn the early 1-0 lead .
Mike Mooney scored the Birds first run in his professional debut after reaching on base with a walk in the third inning. Mooney advanced all the way to third on an attempted pickoff miscue by Brooklyn pitcher Mark Cohoon. Blake Davis then hit an infield single to tie the game at 1-1.
The Cyclones added a trifecta of runs in the fifth inning when Juan Centeno singled to center field scoring Luis Rivera. An at-bat later, short stop Luis Nieves hit his first home run of the season to left field to give Brooklyn a 4-1 lead. Rivera and Centeno went a combined 6-for-8 with five runs scored and 5 RBI.
Brooklyn added a pair of runs in the top of the eighth and three runs in the ninth to outscore the Birds 16-4 in the first two contests.
IronBirds starter Brandon Erbe threw three innings giving up a run on one hit with four strikeouts in his second rehab start. Lefty Tyler Sexton (1-1) took over for 4.2 innings, conceding five runs, a homer, a walk and a strikeout in the loss. Reliever's James Brandhorst and Mick Matalliano closed out the final 1.2 innings.
Cohoon improved to 2-0 for Brooklyn after tossing 7.0 scoreless innings with one earned run allowed on three hits and six strikeouts.
Aberdeen will try to bounce back in the rubber match tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. Right-hander Kenny Moreland will pitch against Brooklyn's LHP Anguel Cuan.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from June 26, 2009
- Renegades Avoid a Late Inning Comeback to Beat the Yankees, 3-2 - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Bats Come Out Early in Spikes Win - State College Spikes
- IronBirds Fall to Brooklyn, 9-2 - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Crosscutters Get Their First Home Win - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Lake Monsters and Tigers Rained Out - Vermont Lake Monsters
- State College Spikes Game Notes - State College Spikes
- IronBirds Game Notes for Friday June 26 - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Introduce "All You Can Eat Seats" - State College Spikes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Aberdeen IronBirds Stories
- Aberdeen IronBirds Unveil Jam-Packed Promotional Schedule for 2017
- Aberdeen IronBirds to Honor Memory of John Carroll Student-Athlete
- RAACE and Aberdeen IronBirds to Provide Safe, Fun Family Experience
- Steamed Crabs Baseball Coming to Aberdeen this Summer
- Aberdeen IronBirds Announce Addition of New HD Video Board and Live Score Line Display