Iowa Drops Game 1 in 11 Innings
ROUND ROCK, TX - The Iowa Cubs (0-1) fell to the Round Rock Express (1-0) 5-4 in 11 innings in the PCL Semifinals Game 1, Wednesday at Dell Diamond.
Nick Tanielu doubled in the second and with one swing of the bat, Drew Ferguson got the scoring started with a two-run shot.
After the home run, PCL Pitcher of the Year Colin Rea settled in and ultimately recorded a quality start. The righty didn't give up another run as he spun 6.0 frames, allowing six hits, walking three and fanning four.
Iowa began its comeback in the sixth inning as Johnny Field smoked a triple to spark the offense. P.J. Higgins answered the call with a sacrifice fly to spoil the shutout and cut the I-Cubs' deficit in half.
The I-Cubs manufactured the tying run in the seventh inning as singles from Trent Giambrone and Vimael Machin, followed by a Zack Short walk loaded the bags with one out. This time, Charcer Burks came through with a sacrifice fly to make it a 2-2 game.
The tie forced the game to extras and held through 10, before Iowa roused its offense. Higgins and Phillip Evans opened the inning with a pair of singles, before an error allowed the go-ahead run to score. Giambrone added a run with a sacrifice fly.
The edge didn't hold as the Express countered with three runs on two hits and two free passes for the walk-off victory. Chas McCormick delivered the final blow with a two-RBI single.
- Johnny Field and Vimael Machin led the I-Cubs offense with two hits each as Iowa totaled just seven as a team.
- Iowa is 1-4 all-time in extra-inning postseason contests.
Iowa and Round Rock clash for Game 2 at 7:05 p.m. Thursday at Dell Diamond. Games 3-5 of the best-of-five series will be played Friday-Sunday at Principal Park. Friday, the first 1,000 fans will receive a rally towel and fireworks will follow the contest. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 5, 2019
- Deja Vu: Round Rock Thrills in 4-3 Walkoff Victory over Iowa - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Completes Comeback, Downs Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Salt Lake Bees 2019 Season in Review - Salt Lake Bees
- Ponce de Leon Named Pacific Coast League Player of the Month - Memphis Redbirds
- Ponce de Leon Announced as Pacific Coast League Player of the Month for August - PCL
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rivas Hits 3-Run HR, Aviators Top Sacramento 9-3 in Series Opener - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats drop playoff series opener to Aviators - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Walkoff Cubs 5-4 in 11-Inning Playoff Thriller - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Drops Game 1 in 11 Innings - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.