Inter Miami CF Falls 0-4 to New York Red Bulls
Inter Miami CF (9W-5D-10L, 32 points) fell 0-4 to the New York Red Bulls at DRV PNK Stadium on Friday night.
Inter Miami's starting lineup featured three changes from Tuesday's 0-1 victory over Toronto FC; Brek Shea, Blaise Matuidi and Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the XI in place of Kelvin Leerdam, Jay Chapman and Indiana Vassilev.
The visitors opened the match on the front foot, putting Inter Miami under pressure in the early going. In the 9th minute, Patryk Klimala got in behind the defense and sent a shot towards goal, but Christian Makoun tracked back to make an impressive goal line clearance, keeping the match scoreless inside ten minute.
In the 18th minute, however, New York took the lead; Wikelman Carmona played an outside of the foot through ball to Klimala, who fired from a tight angle in the box and scored to give Red Bulls a 0-1 lead.
The visitors doubled their lead in the 31st minute; a long throw-in fell to Omir Fernandez in the box, who headed it in for a 0-2 lead.
In the 38th minute, the referee handed a yellow card to Nicolás Figal, his second of the match, resulting in a red card and a dismissal. The match would go on to enter halftime 0-2 in favor of New York.
The visitors added to their lead in the second half; in the 65th minute, John Tolkin delivered a corner kick to the far post, where Fábio Gomes rose up to head a shot off the post and in, extending the lead to 0-3. In the 89th minute, a cross from Kyle Duncan found the head of Gomes, who headed it in for his second goal of the match and an 0-4 lead that would hold through the final whistle, resulting in Inter Miami's first loss in its last seven matches.
"I think we're going to allow them 24 hours to feel sorry for themselves and then on Sunday morning when we go back in training we've just got to get back at it. We've got to get back on the treadmill, and work and run and fight even harder than we did tonight," said head coach Phil Neville. "I'm sure that this is just a one off because of the fact that we've been on a good run. The confidence is high, we've got momentum. There's going to be plenty of twists and turns left in this season."
Kick Childhood Cancer Night presented by Baptist Health
Friday's match against the New York Red Bulls served as the Club's Kick Childhood Cancer Night presented by Baptist Health. The match featured:
A commemorative Kick Childhood Cancer edition MLS adidas Nativo 21 Official Match Ball used in match play
Kick Childhood Cancer adidas Pre-Match Jerseys will be worn by players during pregame and warmups on game day as well as on the bench, side lines and during training and in community outreach efforts
Gold corner flags
Gold goal nets
Gold captain's armbands
Gold ribbon jersey patches
PRO referees will sport wristbands featuring a Kick Childhood Cancer ribbon
Content to raise funds and awareness
An auction consisting of game-used, autographed jerseys and soccer balls from September matches and other items donated by Continental Tire will provide an additional fundraising opportunity later in the season.
Fans can purchase a special KCC edition Pre-Match adidas jerseys on MLSstore.comavailable now. MLS will donate all royalties it receives from Kick Childhood Cancer edition jerseys sold through official retail partners to Children's Oncology Group (COG) through December 31, 2021. Fans may also donate directly to COG.
Remembering Patricio Ojeda - Inter Miami's Player and Captain
Inter Miami CF was able to fulfill a final wish for 15-year-old Inter Miami fan, Patricio Ojeda. Patricio was diagnosed with neuroblastoma and after a two-year battle, was given a short time to live. As a passionate fútbol and Inter Miami fan, Patricio's final wish was to come to the DRV PNK Stadium and meet the Inter Miami players. Inter Miami was able to give Patricio and his family a day they would never forget. On July 9, 2021, Club signed Patricio as an official player for the day, with his jersey waiting for him in the locker room alongside his favorite players' lockers - Gonzalo Higuaín and Blaise Matuidi. As he was too unwell to attend a game, an intrasquad scrimmage was organized in his honor and Patricio was made captain for the day. The players treated him as a member of the squad as he sat alongside Phil Neville on the team bench for the game. Inter Miami staff and players raised funds for Patricio's family who was struggling with the financial burden of their son's illness. Sadly, Patricio lost his battle on July 31, 2021.
A commemorative framed jersey of Patricio Ojeda, will be placed at DRV PNK Stadium to ensure he will always be a part of the Club. The framed jersey was presented by the team at DRV PNK Stadium during pregame and the full story was shown in stadium as well as on the Club's channels. This year's Kick Childhood Cancer efforts are dedicated to Patricio.
XBTO Primary Jersey Sponsor
The teamdonned XBTO, a prominent global cryptofinance firm, as its Primary Jersey Sponsor for the first time in the match.
Next for Inter Miami is another midweek match, with the team hosting Nashville SC at DRV PNK Stadium on Wednesday, Sept. 22 at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Tickets for Wednesday's match are available here.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 17, 2021
- New York Defeats Inter Miami CF 4-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Falls 0-4 to New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
- MLS Suspends San Jose Earthquakes Head Coach Matías Almeyda - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Sounders FC Travels to Real Salt Lake for Weekend Matchup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. LA Galaxy Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Begin Three-Game Homestand on Sunday vs. Vancouver - Colorado Rapids
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Returns to Canada to Face Toronto FCÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Keys against Vancouver: Score Twice (Or More), Slow Ryan Gauld - Colorado Rapids
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Host FC Dallas in Final Leg of Texas Derby - Houston Dynamo FC
- Revolution Host Columbus Crew Saturday on Concussion Awareness Night - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati Match Preview vs New York City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Closes Three-Game Week Saturday against Seattle Sounders FC - Real Salt Lake
- #HOUvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Loans Forward Patrick Weah to Sacramento - Minnesota United FC
- Austin FC Announces Grand Opening of "Verde Store on Congress" - Austin FC
- Inter Miami CF Announces Mas Brothers, Beckham Increase Ownership Stake in the Club - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.