Indiana's McCowan Named to WNBA All-Rookie Team
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Fever rookie Teaira McCowan has been named to the WNBA All-Rookie Team, as announced today by the WNBA. McCowan finished her rookie campaign with exactly 10.0 points and 9.0 rebounds per game, finishing second in the league in rebounding. She also ranked 10th in the WNBA in blocked shots per game.
The third overall pick in the 2019 WNBA Draft, McCowan appeared in all 34 games while helping the Fever more than double their win total (13) from 2018 (6). She started 16 games including each of the last seven as Indiana finished 7-6 after the All-Star Break. Since her first start on June 19, McCowan was the league's only player to average double figures in points and rebounds, with 11.9 and 10.3 per game, respectively.
She finished the season with a franchise-record 305 rebounds, sixth by any rookie in league history. Her 19 rebounds at Seattle on Aug. 25 were the second-most in club history. Two nights later she matched her season scoring high with 24 points and added 17 rebounds to become the first rookie in league history with consecutive games of 20-plus points and 15-plus rebounds. Her 11 double-doubles overall were second in Fever history, and her five consecutive double-doubles in the season's final two weeks broke a team standard established by Tamika Catchings in 2002.
McCowan is the fourth Fever player in the past five seasons to earn mention on the All-Rookie Team, joining Natalie Achonwa (2015), Tiffany Mitchell (2016) and Kelsey Mitchell (2018). She is the fifth Indiana player to earn All-Rookie recognition overall.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 16, 2019
- Jackie Young Named to WNBA All-Rookie Team - Las Vegas Aces
- Ogunbowale Named to 2019 WNBA All-Rookie Team - Dallas Wings
- Indiana's McCowan Named to WNBA All-Rookie Team - Indiana Fever
- Rookie of the Year Napheesa Collier Headlines 2019 WNBA All-Rookie Team - WNBA
- Napheesa Collier Named 2019 WNBA Rookie of the Year - Minnesota Lynx
- Minnesota's Napheesa Collier Named 2019 WNBA Rookie of the Year - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indiana Fever Stories
- Tamika Catchings Honored as Torchbearer Award Recipient
- Julie Allemand Named to WNBA All-Rookie Team
- Julie Allemand Named to Associated Press All-Rookie Team
- Dupree Moves into Sixth on WNBA All-Time Rebounding List
- Fever End 2020 Regular Season against Minnesota on Saturday