IceRays Fall to Killer Bees 6-4
The Corpus Christi IceRays fell in an early hole and couldn't quite dig themselves out on Thursday Night as they fell to the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees 6-4 at the American Bank Center. Five different players scored for the Bees who snapped the IceRays three-game point streak with the victory. Corpus Christi fell to 9-10-3 and three points behind Rio Grande Valley for third place in the Southeast Division. They remained winless in three games this season versus the Killer Bees. The IceRays will look to rebound on Friday Night when they return to the American Bank Center at 7:05pm to face the Odessa Jackalopes on Frosty Friday's and another installment of the Fine Jewelry Outlet Great Diamond Giveaway. For more information, please contact the IceRays at 361-814-PUCK.
The Killer Bees exploded out of the gate, outshooting the IceRays 13-0 to start the game and taking an early advantage on the scoreboard. The Killer Bees scored in the game's opening minute when Jesse Bennefied tallied 57 seconds in to make it 1-0. The Bees then increased their lead to 2-0 when Kurtis Dulle's shot from the left point was deflected by Aaron Lee and past Dustin Traylen at 4:10. The IceRays got on the board when Jeremy Leroux finished off a three-on-one rush with a wrist shot from the high slot at 8:30 to make the score 2-1 Rio Grande Valley. The Killer Bees added a late goal at 19:34 when Grant Goeckner-Zoeller scored after a failed clearing attempt by the IceRays. The Bees outshot the IceRays 22-8 in the frame and took a 3-1 lead into the middle frame.
The IceRays inched closer in the second period when they got a power play goal at 5:09. Bob Rapoza found John Adams at the bottom of the left circle with a shot-pass that Adams redirected past the drawn out Wylie Rogers to make it 3-2. The Bees got back up by a pair when Darryl Moore cut through the right circle and went top shelf on Traylen at 13:59. The IceRays got back within a goal when Ryan Bennett found a loose puck in the crease and poked it past Rogers at 17:15 to cap the second period scoring. The IceRays outshot the Bees 19-15 in the middle frame.
It was more of the same in the third period with the IceRays inching closer and the Killer Bees pulling away. The Bees reclaimed a two-goal lead when Robin Bouchard scored on a slapshot from the left point on a Rio Grande power play at 2:58 to make it 5-3. The IceRays got back within one when Bennett scored his second of the night 26 seconds later at 3:24 to make the score 5-4. The Bees finished the scoring with Goeckner-Zoeller's second goal at 7:19 for the 6-4 win.
Dustin Traylen (4-5) took the loss making 39 saves on 45 shots and Wylie Rogers (8-7-1) earned the win making 32 saves on 36 shots and stopping all five shooters. The IceRays power play went 1-5 while the Killer Bees went 1-1 on the man advantage. The IceRays were outshot by the Bees 45-39.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 18, 2008
- IceRays Fall to Killer Bees 6-4 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Gorillas and Dusters Help Area School Celebrate Reading - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bucks Host Killer Bees Friday - Laredo Bucks
- Colorado Back on Top of Yellowbook CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- RiverKings NYE Party Includes Built-In Babysitting - Mississippi RiverKings
- Support Toys for Tots December 19 and 20 - Arizona Sundogs
- Sundogs To Wear Vintage Themed Jerseys Friday - Arizona Sundogs
- Oklahoma City's Doug Sauter Clinches Coaching Slot in CHL All-Star Game - CHL
- Donald Thomson Returns To Bucks Front Office - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale