Icehawks Fall To Lumberjacks, 5-3
PORT HURON, MI - The Port Huron Icehawks dropped a 5-3 decision to the Muskegon Lumberjacks on Wednesday night at McMorran Arena. Mike Kinnie had a pair of goals to up his IHL leading total to ten for the season, but the Muskegon duo of Todd Robinson and Robin Bouchard combined for four goals and four assists to overpower the home team.
The Icehawks remain one point out of first place in the league standings, behind Bloomington and Muskegon.
Kinnie sandwiched his goals around two from Muskegon as the teams skated off the ice tied 2-2 after the first period. Kinnie opened scoring just 27 seconds into the game, banging in a rebound in front of the Jacks goal. Ian Turner and Kris Vernarsky had the assists on the play. Matt Krug tied the game on a Muskegon power play at 8:28 of the period. Krug fired a one time slap shot past Port Huron goalie Adam Russo. Matt Robertson and Todd Robinson set the goal up.
Four minutes later Robinson batted in a rebound to lift Muskegon to a 2-1 advantage. John DiPace and Bouchard had the assists. Kinnie tied the score at 15:57 with a high wrist shot off the rush from the left face-off circle. Vernarsky and Daniel Tetrault had the helpers. First period shots favored the Lumberjacks 13-7.
Muskegon scored quickly in the second period with Bouchard tallying the go ahead goal just 44 seconds in. Robinson assisted on the play. Port Huron's Kerry Bowman tied the game with a tip in goal at 17:35. Jamie Lovell and Mikael Bedard had the assists, but the tie lasted just 41 seconds as Robinson scored his second goal of the game on an assist from Bouchard at 18:16 to make it 4-3 for the Lumberjacks. Second period shots favored Muskegon 8-7.
Robin Bouchard scored the lone goal in the third period, with an unassisted empty netter from his own zone at 19:39 to close out the scoring at 5-3 for the Lumberjacks. Port Huron outshot Muskegon 11-5 in the third, but the Jacks had a 26-25 edge for the game. Matt Lundin made 22 saves to earn his third win of the season. Adam Russo suffered the loss, making 22 saves.
For game stats: http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/gamesheet_full.html?gameid1057458.
Port Huron travels to Flint on Saturday night at 7:30 PM to begin a home and home series with the Generals. The second half of that set is scheduled for Sunday at 5 PM at McMorran Arena
Single game tickets for all Icehawks home games are on sale now at the McMorran Arena Box Office, any Ticket Master location or by phone. For more information, visit www.porthuronicehawks.com or call 810-966-3800.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from November 11, 2009
- Generals Fall 3-2 To Dayton In Shootout - Flint Generals
- Icehawks Fall To Lumberjacks, 5-3 - Port Huron Icehawks
- Generals Fall to Dayton - Flint Generals
- Gems Notch Second Shootout Win This Time 3-2 Over The Flint Generals - Dayton Gems
- Coors Light, Mallards Team To Offer Military Ticket Discount - Quad City Mallards
- PrairieThunder Face three Games - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Gems Acquire DaCosta From Lumberjacks - Dayton Gems
- Dayton Gems In Your Community - Dayton Gems
- Gems Weekly - Dayton Gems
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Port Huron Icehawks Stories
- Kinney Entertainment Discontinues Icehawks Organization
- Icehawks And E&A Credit Union Saves For Charity Program Raises $1100
- Port Huron Icehawks 2009-10 Season Review
- Stan Drulia Resigns As Icehawks Head Coach After Three Seasons
- Fort Wayne's Goal With 2.1 Seconds Remaining Forces Deciding Game