IceDogs Drop 4-3 Decision to Greyhounds
Your Niagara IceDogs were home Thursday to the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in their first Meridian Centre game since January 26th. The 'Dogs faced the Greyhounds for the first time since their 4-1 loss in November in Sault Ste. Marie and were looking to even up the season series. The Greyhounds came into this game having won their past 5 games, while the 'Dogs were looking to turn their luck around.
The first period got off to a fast, even pace with both teams pressuring throughout the first twenty minutes. In the final few minutes of the period, the OHL's leading scorer, Morgan Frost, added to his goal total and got the Greyhounds on the board to carry a 1-0 lead into the second period.
Early in the 2nd period, Boris Katchouk was awarded a penalty shot. He extended the Greyhounds' lead to 2. The Greyhounds continued to dominate much of the play in the second period. Within the final 5 minutes of the second, the IceDogs got their strongest scoring chance, but Johnny Corneil couldn't control the puck to lift it past Matthew Villalta. The Greyhounds extended their lead to three before the end of the middle period.
The Greyhounds capitalized on an early powerplay to take the 4-goal lead, but just minutes later, defenceman Will Lochead scored his 3rd goal of the season to cut the Soo lead down to 3. Lochead redirected a shot by Oliver Castleman from deep in the crease behind Villalta. Kirill Makismov picked up the secondary assist to extend his point streak to eight games. Then, with just over 5 minutes to play, Sam Miletic picked up a pass from Johnny Corneil between the face off dots and wristed it home! Miletic's 28th goal of the season cut the Greyhounds' lead in half. Elijah Roberts was credited with the secondary assist. With 45.8 seconds remaining in the game, Kirill Maksimov scored his 28th of the season through a scramble in front of the Greyhounds' net. Ben Jones and Akil Thomas were credited with the assists.
Although the 'Dogs continued to press for the equalizer, they couldn't complete their comeback against the top team in the league. They dropped this one by a score of 4-3.
The 'Dogs are back in action Saturday night in Sarnia, where they look to take the season series win against the high flying Sting. Saturday nights' game will be broadcast live on YourTV Niagara, 610 CKTB, as well as OHL Live. Follow @OHLIceDogs on Twitter for all news and updates!
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2018
- Comeback Not Enough as Firebirds Fall in Sudbury Friday - Flint Firebirds
- OHL Announces Disciplinary Action - OHL
- OHL Announces Postponed Game Between Sarnia and Kitchener - OHL
- Sarnia Sting vs. Kitchener Rangers Rescheduled Date Announced - Kitchener Rangers
- GameDay Preview: Firebirds & Wolves Face-Off in Sudbury Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Tonight's Game vs. Sarnia Sting Postponed - Kitchener Rangers
- 67's Defenceman Kevin Bahl Receives 10-Game Suspension - Ottawa 67's
- Petes to Host Battalion in Sixth Annual Saves 4 CF Game on Saturday - Peterborough Petes
- IceDogs Drop 4-3 Decision to Greyhounds - Niagara IceDogs
- Thrilling Match up Spoiled by Attack Comeback - Peterborough Petes
- Firebirds Force Overtime with 1.9 Remaining, Fall in Shootout - Flint Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.