Ice Bears Defeat Top Ranked Macon in Shoot Out
Knoxville, TN - David Higgs scored the lone goal in the shootout and Hayden Stewart stopped all five Macon shooters as the Ice Bears beat the Mayhem 3-2 on Wednesday at the Coliseum.
Lucas Bombardier scored both regulation goals for Knoxville. Stewart finished with 32 saves.
Both teams had several chances in the first period, but big stops by both goaltenders kept the game scoreless heading into the first intermission.
Bombardier opened up the scoring at 8:52 of the second when he collected the puck in the neutral zone and carried it down the left wing before ripping a wrist shot from the circle over Ian Sylves. The rookie notched his second of the period right before the buzzer after zipping a shot from the right dot in off the crossbar with four seconds remaining.
Macon tied the game quickly. Stathis Soumelidis scored 20 seconds into the third and Mike Chemello tapped in a rebound 50 seconds later to even the score.
Knoxville will continue its four-game homestead when it hosts Roanoke on Friday for Cartoon Night and Fayetteville on Saturday for Daddy Daughter Date Night. Purchase your Date Night Package of two tickets, a tiara and hat for only $44 at the Ice Bears Shop on www.knoxvilleicebears.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from December 27, 2018
- Mayhem Edged by Knoxville in Shootout - Macon Mayhem
- Three Stars of Week 10 - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Perfection on Power Play Lifts Marksmen in 'Sellout' - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Storm Hit with Suspensions - Quad City Storm
- Ice Bears Defeat Top Ranked Macon in Shoot Out - Knoxville Ice Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Knoxville Ice Bears Stories
- Protected Bears Announced
- Ice Bears Season Ends in Overtime
- Ice Bears Battle Havoc in President's Cup Semi-Final
- Ice Bears Grab Series Lead
- Bears to Face Macon