Hurricanes Sign Goaltender Daniel Manzato
RALEIGH, NC - Ron Francis, Assistant General Manager and Director of Player Development for the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed goaltender Daniel Manzato to a one-year contract. The deal will pay Manzato $522,500 at the NHL level and $75,000 at the minor-league level.
"Daniel had a good season and helped Las Vegas to one of the best regular-season records in the ECHL," said Francis. "We look forward to him continuing his development next season."
Manzato, 24, completed his first season of North American professional hockey in 2007-08. The Fribourg, Switzerland, native finished the season tied for fourth in the ECHL in wins with a 24-5-6 record, tied for sixth in the ECHL with a 2.37 goals-against average and sixth in the ECHL with a .921 save percentage, while playing in 35 games with Charlotte and Las Vegas. Manzato (6'0", 178 lbs.) began the season with the Florida Everblades, but was transferred to Charlotte before playing a game with the Everblades. He posted a 2-0-0 record and a 2.00 goals-against average for Charlotte before being assigned to Las Vegas on Nov. 8, where he helped the Wranglers to a 47-13-12 regular-season record and the Pacific Division title. He was named the RBC Financial Group's ECHL Saver of the Month for November, and represented the National Conference at the 2008 ECHL All-Star Game.
Following three seasons of major-junior hockey in Canada with Victoriaville of the QMJHL, Manzato played professional hockey in his native Switzerland for three years before making his North American professional debut in 2007-08. The Hurricanes drafted Manzato in the fifth round, 160th overall, of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.
For information on Hurricanes ticket packages, visit www.CarolinaHurricanes.com or call 1-866-NHL-CANES.
2008-09 Albany River Rats season ticket packages are on sale now for the River Rats 16th season of operations in the American Hockey League. For more information please contact the Albany River Rats at (518) 487-2244 or online at www.albanyriverrats.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from June 9, 2008
- Admirals Recognized as a Virginia Beach Partner in Education - Norfolk Admirals
- Games Six and Seven of Calder Cup Finals to be Carried on WSWB-38 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Damon's To Host Icehogs Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Hurricanes Sign Goaltender Daniel Manzato - Albany River Rats
- Griffins Announce Personnel Changes - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Carolina Changes Coaching Staff - Albany River Rats
- Aeros Announce Voucher Books On Sale Now - Houston Aeros
- Carolina Hurricanes Announces Coaching Changes For 2008-09 - Albany River Rats
- Anaheim's Brian Burke named GM of 2010 US Olympic Team - AHL
- Fourth Annual Binghamton Senators Charity Golf Classic Set For October 14th - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.