Anaheim's Brian Burke named GM of 2010 US Olympic Team
June 9, 2008 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
DES MOINES, IA - (June 9, 2008) - Anaheim Ducks General Manager Brian Burke, who was in Des Moines this past Tuesday announcing the AHL team in Iowa as the Ducks new affiliate, has been named General Manager of the United States Men's Olympic Ice Hockey team that will compete in the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver, British Columbia, February 12-28.
"I'm very grateful and honored to be part of the U.S. Olympic Team," said Burke in a statement. "We hope to put a team together for 2010 that Americans can be proud of. We have skill and depth at every skating position, skill and depth in goal and skill and depth behind the bench. We're not going there for any other reason than to try to win the whole thing." Burke's previous international experiences include serving as General Manager of the U.S. Men's National Team at the 1993 International Ice Hockey Federation Men's World Championship in Munich and Dortmund, Germany.
Ranked as the No. 1 General Manager in the NHL in The Hockey News' Annual GM Rankings (March 2008), Burke led the Ducks to a Stanley Cup championship in 2007, the first-ever by a California-based club. Including a run to the 2006 Western Conference Finals, Burke has helped guide the Ducks to six series wins in the last three years, tied with Detroit for the most in the NHL during that span.
"We're extremely pleased to have Brian Burke as our general manager," said Ron DeGregorio president of USA Hockey. "His record of accomplishment speaks for itself. Brian's drive and fire for the game rub off on you and it's that type of passion that will help lead us to our ultimate goal of winning the gold medal."
Burke, along with Kirby Schlegel, chairman and CEO of Schlegel Sports, announced this past Tuesday that they have entered into a new two-year agreement for the Anaheim Ducks to serve as the NHL affiliate for the American Hockey League team in Des Moines (formerly known as the Iowa Stars). The new Iowa AHL team will announce their team name, logo and colors in July, and will step onto the ice in October.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from June 9, 2008
- Admirals Recognized as a Virginia Beach Partner in Education - Norfolk Admirals
- Games Six and Seven of Calder Cup Finals to be Carried on WSWB-38 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Damon's To Host Icehogs Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Hurricanes Sign Goaltender Daniel Manzato - Albany River Rats
- Griffins Announce Personnel Changes - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Carolina Changes Coaching Staff - Albany River Rats
- Aeros Announce Voucher Books On Sale Now - Houston Aeros
- Carolina Hurricanes Announces Coaching Changes For 2008-09 - Albany River Rats
- Anaheim's Brian Burke named GM of 2010 US Olympic Team - AHL
- Fourth Annual Binghamton Senators Charity Golf Classic Set For October 14th - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.