Hurricanes Recall Oskar Osala From Albany
RALEIGH, NC-Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, announced today that the team has recalled left wing Oskar Osala (OH-sa-la) from Albany of the American Hockey League (AHL). Osala will be available to play in tonight's game in Washington, while Hurricanes winger Erik Cole is expected to miss the contest due to illness.
Osala, 22, has scored 15 goals and earned 16 assists (31 points) in 55 games this season with the Hershey Bears and Albany River Rats. The Vaasa, Finland, native began his North American professional career last season, registering 23 goals and 14 assists (37 points) in 75 regular-season games with Hershey. Osala (6'4", 225 lbs.) notched six goals and earned four assists (10 points) in the Bears' 22-game march to the AHL's 2009 Calder Cup championship. Washington drafted Osala in the fourth round, 97th overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, and he made his NHL debut in 2008-09, playing in two games with the Capitals. The Hurricanes acquired Osala on March 3rd along with Brian Pothier and a second-round draft pick, in exchange for Joe Corvo.
Albany plays the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton tonight at 7:05 p.m. at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. River Rats 2009-10 flexible ticket packages are now on sale at the River Rats executive offices at the Times Union Center, by calling (518) 487-2244 or by logging onto www.albanyriverrats.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2010
- Admirals Slay Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Dumps Peoria 3-2 - Texas Stars
- 3-10-10 B-I-N-G-Oh No - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolf Pack Lose To Sharks 6-4 - Connecticut Whale
- Pens Down Rats 4-3 In Shootout - Albany River Rats
- B-Sens Dethrone Monarchs 5-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Sharks Solve Wolf Pack Riddle and Come From Behind, 6-4 - Worcester Sharks
- Oilers Recall Chris Minard From Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Release Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Marlies Sign Defenceman Simon Gysbers To ATO Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Mike Vernace Reassigned To Hamilton Bulldogs By Atlanta Thrashers - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Canadiens Loan Stewart To Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Bears Add Grant Lewis From Chicago Wolves - Hershey Bears
- B-Sens Sign Defenseman Neil Petruic - Binghamton Senators
- Milwaukee Brewers Sausages Headline Hammy's Birthday - Rockford IceHogs
- Adirondack Hockey Hall Of Fame Inductees To Sign Autographs Sunday - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monarchs American Pride Night Nets Over $33,000 For Charity - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks And Knighthawks Raise Over $54,000 For CF Of Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Thrashers Recall Chelios - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Recalls Sifers, Reassigns Kalus - Houston Aeros
- 'Canes Agree To Terms With Defenseman Kyle Lawson - Albany River Rats
- Moose Loan Marty Murray To Admirals In Exchange For Peter Olvecky - Manitoba Moose
- Marty Murray Loaned To Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At Denny's - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign Four, Release Two - Norfolk Admirals
- Wolves Sign Simpson To SPC, Return Galivan To Gwinnett - Chicago Wolves
- Hurricanes Recall Oskar Osala From Albany - Albany River Rats
- AHL Announces Suspensions - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.