Hunter Jones Named OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week
(Peterborough, ON) - The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Minnesota Wild prospect Hunter Jones of the Peterborough Petes is the OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week for the week of regular season action running from October 14th through the 20th with a 3-0 record, 1.67 goals-against average and .943 save percentage.
Jones earns the award for the first time in his OHL career after backstopping the Petes to a perfect 3-0 record. He made 22 saves in Thursday's home opening win over the Hamilton Bulldogs before posting back-to-back road wins with one goal allowed on Friday and Sunday. Jones earned first star honours, turning aside 32 of 33 shots on Friday night in Ottawa as the Petes defeated the 67's 3-1. He proceeded to stop 28 of 29 in Sunday's 2-1 victory over the CHL's top-ranked Oshawa Generals, earning his 40th career OHL win in the process.
A 19-year-old native of Brantford, Ont., Jones is off to a 9-1-0-0 start to the 2019-20 season, posting a league-leading 2.41 goals-against average along with a .919 save percentage and one shutout. He owns a career 40-34-2-2 record over 82 career OHL regular season contests, posting a 3.54 goals-against average and .896 save percentage with four shutouts. Originally Peterborough's fifth round pick in the 2016 OHL Priority Selection, Jones was selected by the Minnesota Wild in the second round of the 2019 NHL Draft.
The Petes are back on home ice on Thursday, October 24 at 7:05pm to host the Sarnia Sting. They'll be back at the PMC on Saturday, October 26 at 7:05pm to face the Mississauga Steelheads. Tickets for all regular season home games are available through the PMC Grant Thornton Box Office in person and over the phone at (705) 743-3561 Monday to Friday from 9:30am to 5:00pm, and 24 hours a day online.
The most affordable way to see the Petes in action early in the 2018-19 season is with a Season Starter Pack. Save over $65 on tickets and merchandise! Season Opener Packs are available through Mike in the Petes office at (705) 743-3681 ext. 263 or by email.
Images from this story
Peterborough Petes goaltender Hunter Jones
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 21, 2019
- Niagara IceDogs Forward Philip Tomasino Signs Entry Level Contract - Niagara IceDogs
- Winter Wear Drive Sponsored by Oosterveld Heating and Air Conditioning this Friday - Guelph Storm
- Canadian Rosters Unveiled for 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - OHL
- 2019 Remembrance Day Jersey Auction November 8 - Kitchener Rangers
- Firebirds Continue Franchise-Best Start, Stay Undefeated in Flint - Flint Firebirds
- Hunter Jones Named OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week - Peterborough Petes
- Petes' Hunter Jones Named OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week - OHL
- Pinelli Named to Team Canada Red for World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Kitchener Rangers
- Andrew Perrott Named Huron Tractor Attacker of the Week - Owen Sound Attack
- Petes Take First Game of Season Series against Top Ranked Generals - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peterborough Petes Stories
- Petes Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Frontenacs
- Petes Outplay Bulldogs to 4-3 Win in School Day Game
- Petes Continue to Chase First Place with Two Home Games this Week
- Petes Shut out for First Time this Season by Colts
- Peterborough Petes Players of the Week for the Week Ending November 10