How We Got Here: Inter Miami CF's Journey to the 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final
The past few months have been quite eventful for the Inter Miami CF family. Just over a month ago, the Club was celebrating the historic conquest of its first official trophy, and now the team is getting ready to do it all again. The night of Wednesday, Sept. 27 promises lots of thrills and emotions as the Club achieves yet another milestone in Inter Miami's short and successful existence, when the team hosts its first-ever final at DRV PNK Stadium. The occasion will see Inter Miami battle it out on the pitch with the Houston Dynamo to determine who gets the honor of being crowned 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup champions.
As the clock winds down and the Club's loyal fans get ready to once again take over DRV PNK Stadium to cheer on the boys as they fight Por La Segunda, let's revisit Inter Miami's U.S. Open Cup journey en route to the final.
Dominating on the Road
Inter Miami wasn't able to count on the unique atmosphere generated by its fans in its home ground for most fixtures in the team's 2023 Open Cup run, but that was no problem for the boys. Inter Miami played three of its five matches in the competition on the road, defeating Miami FC 3-5 in penalties after a 2-2 draw in regulation in the Third Round, knocking out Birmingham Legion FC with a 0-1 win in the Quarterfinals, and booking its place in the final after overtaking current MLS Supporters' Shield leaders FC Cincinnati 4-5 from the spot in the semifinals after an exhilarating 3-3 draw.
In its other two matchups, the team dispatched the Charleston Battery with a 1-0 win in the Round of 32 and topped Nashville SC 2-1 in the Round of 16 in home games at DRV PNK Stadium.
Inter Miami's path to the final was never lacking in emotion. In particular, there were two matchups that had fans at the edge of their seats as the team fought from behind to get the result, showing the team's characteristic never-say-die attitude. In its first match of its 2023 Open Cup campaign back on April 26, Inter Miami came from behind twice before defeating Miami FC from the spot, with striker Shanyder Borgelin leveling the scoring at one in the 89th minute, and center-back Ryan Sailor subsequently netting the final 2-2 equalizer in the final two minutes of extra time to send the match to penalties.
Fast forward to Aug. 23 and a new-look Inter Miami, with the recent arrivals of six summer signings, was taking the pitch at TQL Stadium to face FC Cincinnati in the semifinals. Early on in the second half the home side was up 2-0 and seemed to be heading to victory, but a certain Argentine maestro and our towering Ecuadorian striker had other plans in mind. Buoyed by two inch-perfect assists from Messi, headers from Campana inside the box in the 68th minute and in the seventh minute of added time got Inter Miami back into the race to fight for its place in the final. Forward Josef Martínez then gave the team a momentary lead in extra time in the 93d minute before Cincinnati equalized in the 114th minute to send the game to penalties. Inter Miami's five penalty takers then scored from the spot to win 4-5 in penalties and complete the heroic comeback.
Inter Miami attackers have been in charge of leading the team to the final in the competition. The team's top scorers have been Campana, with his brace against Cincinnati, and Nicolás Stefanelli, who bagged the winners in the matchups against Nashville and Birrmingham Legion, with two goals apiece. Distribution-wise, Messi and winger Corentin Jean lead the way with two assists each.
How to Watch the Final?
Date and Time: Wednesday, Sept. 27 at 8:30 p.m. ET
English: CBS Sports Network, Paramount+
Spanish: Telemundo, Universo, Peacock
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 25, 2023
- How We Got Here: Inter Miami CF's Journey to the 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Update - Nashville SC
- Luciano Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 34 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Midfielder Luciano Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 34 - MLS
- Rémi Cabral Named MLS NEXT Pro Player of Matchday 28 - Colorado Rapids
- Luciano Acosta Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 34 - FC Cincinnati
- Houston Dynamo FC Announce Fan Events for Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final - Houston Dynamo FC
- Earthquakes Defender Carlos Akapo Selected to MLS Team of the Matchday - San Jose Earthquakes
- David Ruiz Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF Announces New Team Store Hours - Inter Miami CF
- Five Points: the Job's Not Done - New York City FC
- Austin FC Plays to 3-3 Draw with la Galaxy - Austin FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 3-3 Come-From-Behind Draw on the Road at Q2 Stadium on Sunday Night - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Splits the Points with Intrastate Rival Inter Miami CF in 1-1 Draw - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Earns a Point on the Road Against Rivals Orlando City SC - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF to Face El Salvador National Team During 2024 Preseason
- Inter Miami CF Sells out of 2024 Season Tickets; Club Announces Single-Match Ticket Presale Details for Limited Remaining Match Tickets
- Inter Miami CF Is Set to Host Third Annual Battle of the Artists Presented by Heinken Silver this Saturday
- Inter Miami CF in Action During November International Window
- U.S. Women's National Team Announces Roster Featuring Stars and New Faces for DRV PNK Stadium Match against China PR