'Hounds Walk off on 9th-Inning Error, 5-4
MIDLAND, Tx. - The Midland RockHounds (2-0, 36-35) capitalized on a rare error by the Springfield Cardinals (0-2, 30-42) in the bottom of the ninth to walk off on the miscue with a 5-4 win in the series finale on Wednesday night.
W: RHP John Gorman (4-4)
L: RHP Kodi Whitley (1-3)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
-After the Cardinals plated an unearned run in the 1st, the RockHounds jumped ahead with three runs in the second on a two-run shot by 3B Edwin Diaz and an RBI single from SS Kevin Merrell, providing an early 3-1 lead for Midland.
-Midland padded the lead with one run in the bottom of the third, but C Brian O'Keefe brought the Cardinals back within two runs, 4-2, with a solo home run that led off the fourth.
-The Cardinals powered their way back even on the board in the sixth with solo blasts by RF Johan Mieses and 1B Zach Kirtley, tying the game at 4-4.
-With runners at second and third and two away in the bottom of the ninth, Midland CF Dairon Blanco grounded the ball to short, but SS Rayder Ascanio had a momentary bobble on the play for a fielding error that allowed SS Kevin Merrell to score and the RockHounds to walk off, 5-4.
-3B Jose Martinez went 3x5 with a double, two singles and a run.
-All nine Cardinals starters notched at least one hit, combining to tally 12 hits in the game.
-RHP Angel Rondon made the start and finished his outing strong, retiring nine of his last 11 batters faced with six strikeouts during that stretch. He finished with four runs on eight hits, one walk and seven strikeouts in 5.2 innings.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
-The Cardinals continue the road trip in Corpus Christi on Thursday at 6:15pm. Catch all the action live on Jock 98.7 FM and SpringfieldCardinals.com, and tune in 15 minutes early for the Harbell's Grill and Sports Bar Pregame Show.
Jack Flaherty Bobbleheads, Dry Fit Polos, Freedom Week Fireworks and more during next homestand, June 27 - July 3
The Cardinals return home for a huge homestand from Thursday, June 27 - Wednesday, July 3, featuring:
-Thursday, June 27, 7:10pm - American National Jack Flaherty Bobblehead Giveaway (2,000) and Klement's $1 Bratwurst Night. Gates open at 6:10pm.
-Friday, June 28, 7:10pm - Fire & Water Friday Fireworks. Gates open at 6:10pm.
-Saturday, June 29, 6:10pm - Mercy Navy Dry Fit Polo Shirt Giveaway (2,000) and Specialty Jersey Auction to benefit Better Life in Recovery. Gates open at 5:10pm.
-Sunday, June 30, 6:10pm - Hiland Dairy Ice Cream Sunday and Kids Run the Bases. Gates open at 5:10pm.
-Monday, July 1, 6:30pm - Freedom Week Fireworks with the Ladies of American Country soundtrack. Gates open at 5:30pm.
-Tuesday, July 2, 6:30pm - Freedom Week Fireworks with Songs from American Movies and Great Southern Bank $1 Dog Day. Gates open at 5:30pm.
-Wednesday, July 3, 6:10pm - Freedom Week Fans-On-Field Patriotic Fireworks Celebration with a Postgame concert featuring The Mixtapes, presented by Aaron Sachs & Associates. Gates open at 5:10pm.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Springer and the Hooks Thump Cardinals in Opener - Springfield Cardinals
- Early Runs Doom Naturals in Series Opener - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Lux's Hit Gives Drillers Walk-Off Win over Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
- Springer Slugs Pair of Homers in First Rehab Start - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Ramirez Shines as Sod Poodles Fall to Drillers - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Bass and Bats Beat Naturals - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Cap Giveaway Exchange on June 22nd - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hounds Beat Cards in Walk-Off Fashion - Midland RockHounds
- George Springer Joins Hooks Tonight on Rehab Assignment - Corpus Christi Hooks
- 'Hounds Walk off on 9th-Inning Error, 5-4 - Springfield Cardinals
- Dunn, Late Offense Get Travs Past Hooks - Arkansas Travelers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.