'Horns Add Sharpshooter Steve Novak to Roster
RENO, Nev.- The Reno Bighorns acquired NBA veteran sharpshooter Steve Novak from the available player pool this morning, solidifying their frontcourt and adding another long-distance threat to their active roster.
Novak, a 6-10 forward from Libertyville, Ill., boasts five years of experience at the NBA level, playing 202-career games with Houston, Dallas and the Los Angeles Clippers. He averaged a career-best 6.9 points per game in 71 games with the Clippers during the 2008-09 season, and has shot 40.6% from three-point range in his NBA career.
Novak played collegiately at Marquette, helping his team to a 2003 Final Four appearance as a freshman alongside Dwayne Wade and Travis Diener. After four years at Marquette, Novak was drafted in the second round of the 2006 NBA Draft (32nd overall pick).
Novak joins Jeremy Lin (Golden State), Danny Green (Cleveland, San Antonio), Marcus Landry (Boston, New York), Patrick O'Bryant (Golden State, Toronto, Boston) and Salim Stoudamire (Atlanta) as players on the Bighorns' roster who boast NBA experience.
To make room on the roster, Reno waived Thomas Gardner due to personal reasons. Gardner likely will rejoin Reno next week.
Novak will be active for Reno's two road games this Friday and Saturday against the Idaho Stampede. Both games begin at 6 p.m. PT and can be seen live via NBA Futurecast at nba.com/dleague. Reno returns home on Friday, Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. against the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants. Fans can purchase tickets for the game by calling (775) 284-2622, visiting the Silver Legacy box office or browsing ticketmaster.com.
Reno Bighorns group tickets and fan experience packages are on sale now by calling the Bighorns front office at (775) 284-2NBA or visiting RenoBighorns.com. Fans can high-five the players, play a game-before-the-game on the Bighorns court, perform a talent routine and more.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 4, 2011
- Vipers Use 23-1 Run to Put Away Thunderbirds - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stampede Beaten By Bighorns - Idaho Stampede
- T-Birds Fall in Opener to Vipers - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Wizards crack the Red Claws - Dakota Wizards
- Novak Shines As Bighorns Top Stampede, 110-96 - Reno Bighorns
- Late Surge Pushes Tulsa To 100-96 Win Over Utah - Utah Flash
- Late Surge Pushes Tulsa To 100-96 Win Over Utah - Tulsa 66ers
- Thunderbirds Donating 600 Tickets to Local Charities - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- 'Horns Add Sharpshooter Steve Novak to Roster - Reno Bighorns
- Stampede Acquire Dabbert - Idaho Stampede
- Energy Acquire Guard Mike Taylor - Iowa Wolves
- Utah Flash Mid-Season Update - Utah Flash
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Bighorns Stories
- Bighorns Drop Western Conference Semifinals to Lakers
- Coach Martin to Donate One Thousand Tickets to Local Non-Profits for Tuesday's Playoff Game
- Reno Bighorns to Play in Western Conference Semifinals on April 3
- Statement from the Reno Bighorns and Sacramento Kings Regarding the Passing of Zeke Upshaw
- Bighorns Earn Pacific Division Title with Win over Warriors