Hooks Wallop Riders for Second Straight Night
Corpus Christi scored seven times over the first two innings Saturday night, rolling toward a 10-3 triumph over Frisco at Dr Pepper Ballpark.
The Hooks (9-6) secured the series victory by racking up 21 runs on 34 hits over the last two ballgames.
Myles Straw went 5-for-5 Saturday night, extending his hit streak to nine games. Straw and Ryne Birk, who was 5-for-5 Friday, are the only players in Hooks history to post back-to-back five-hit performances.
Following an hour-long rain delay, Corpus Christi pounced for four runs against Pedro Payano (1-1). Taylor Jones sent a two-run double into the gap in left field. Nick Tanielu was next and belted a 3-2 offering over the left-field fence for this third home run in his last four games.
Jones' RBI double highlighted a three-run second. The Hooks' 6-7 first baseman is 7-for-12 with five runs, four doubles, one home run and seven RBIs through the first three games of the series.
Jamie Ritchie notched a pair of doubles on the night, including a two-run knock to left-center in the fourth, which gave Corpus Christi a 9-0 lead.
Straw's two-out RBI triple in the ninth capped the scoring for the Hooks. The speedy outfielder leads the Texas League in on-base percentage (.545) and ranks second in the circuit batting average (.420). Straw has reached base in all 13 starts this season.
Akeem Bostick stranded five over the first 3 2/3 innings. Brendan Feldman did not allow a run in 1 1/3 innings to pick up the victory, and Yoanys Quilala netted the save after working the final four frames.
The Hooks, who have won four of five sets in 2018, aim for the series sweep Sunday afternoon with lefty Alex Winkelman on the hill. First pitch 4:05.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 22, 2018
- Alvarez's Eighth Inning Blast Powers Hooks - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Martin Strikes out Nine But Hooks Sink Riders 8-6 - Frisco RoughRiders
- Late Homer Barrage Gives Drillers Win over Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Travs Top Cards in Road Trip Finale - Springfield Cardinals
- Big Innings and Moore's Start Power Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Late Rally Halted in Naturals 8-6 Loss at Tulsa - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hooks Wallop Riders for Second Straight Night - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Marte Leads Multi-Hit Parade in 10-3 Loss to Hooks - Frisco RoughRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Hartman, Cesar Named Hooks Pitcher & Player of the Year
- October 25 at Whataburger Field: Halloween with the Hooks
- Astros Playoff Gear at Hook, Line, & Sinker
- Former Hooks James, Tucker Named Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- Hooks Tabbed Texas League Organization of the Year