Higuaín: "I'm Really Proud to be a Part of this Group, Because It's Giving Everything to Make It to the Playoffs"
Touchline Talk presented by Al-Flex
Inter Miami CF secured three more vital points on the road in the team's final away match of the regular season, defeating Toronto FC at BMO Field by way of a late strike from Gonzalo Higuaín. Higuaín continued his blistering run of form, latching on to an incisive pass from Robert Taylor and coolly slotting the ball into the back of the net to earn all three points from the crucial, late-season matchup. With the game winner, the Argentine brought his season tally to 14 goals, 12 of which were scored in the last 14 games.
After the match, Higuaín praised his teammates on a night that saw the Herons constantly apply pressure to the Toronto defense.
"It's a hard match to describe, because there were many mixed emotions," Higuaín said. "We had chances to score, then they had chances; it was really even and emotional, but this team never gives up. It fights, and honestly I'm really proud to be a part of this group, because it's giving everything to make it to the playoffs. It's three very important points tonight and the team gave everything. For the goal, I knew there would be another chance, I knew if I kept concentrated in the match that I'd get another opportunity. It arrived, and luckily it was a goal that earned us three crucial points to help us qualify for the playoffs."
Higuaín also noted that the support the team receives is invaluable at this point in the season, as the team closes in on its final two matches of the regular season.
"This is the best form I've been in since I arrived at the Club. I'm at peace with myself, and when you're at peace it's hard for things to go wrong...I'm really enjoying playing fútbol, I'm enjoying being a part of this group that, regardless of if things are going well or going poorly, always gives everything. I'm enjoying it, really happy to be able to help the team. It's been a difficult year for me but all the work has its reward...I feel like I'm in one of the happiest moments of my career...I've surpassed last year's goals and without a doubt I am enjoying my time. I've been enjoying playing a lot, and I hope to see the fans Wednesday against Orlando, because it's going to be a very important game for us."
Commenting on Higuaín's stellar run of form, head coach Phil Neville also emphasized the positive impact that the team has had on the forward, and vice versa.
"The whole dressing room looks at him as a leader. I think what we've done is provide him with a team and a platform, and he's given the team back more. We've got a world class player in Gonzalo, and he's delivering everything and more for the team that worships him. It's brilliant to see the happiness in which he's playing his futbol, the happiness in the way he comes to work every single day, and he's got the whole dressing room playing to his tune. That's through respect and encouragement, on top of his performances. That's what you get from winners."
Neville, like Higuaín, also called on the loyal Inter Miami fans to rally behind them in the final two matches of the season, making DRV PNK Stadium a fortress for the Herons.
"To all the Inter Miami supporters, La Familia," Neville said, "Let's get down to DRV PNK Stadium on Wednesday and fill the stadium. Let's make it a really hostile atmosphere [for the visitors]. Let's get behind the boys, because I think they deserve a full house. It's going to be a really exciting game. I know the Inter Miami faithful have never let this club down. I know Wednesday night they'll show up and I know against Montreal they'll show up and get behind these players who are performing absolute miracles."
Inter Miami CF hosts Orlando City SC on Wednesday, October 5 at DRV PNK Stadium. The crucial match is one of just two more matches for the Herons, and kicks off at 8 p.m. ET.
Discounted tickets, beginning at $25, are available for Fan Appreciation Week for the remaining two matches of the MLS Regular Season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 1, 2022
- CF Montréal Blanks D.C. United 1-0 - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Cincinnati Fall to Chicago Fire FC, 3-2 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Fall to Chicago Fire FC, 3-2 - FC Cincinnati
- Teenagers Jhon Durán and Brian Gutiérrez Propel Chicago Fire FC to 3-2 Win at FC Cincinnati - Chicago Fire FC
- Christian Lattanzio Believes Charlotte FC Is Earning Respect - Charlotte FC
- NYCFC Clinches a Place in the 2022 Audi MLS Cup PlayoffsÃÂ - New York City FC
- Earthquakes Announce 2022 Club Award Winners - San Jose Earthquakes
- Charlotte FC Blanks Philadelphia Union 4-0 - Philadelphia Union
- Rapids Defeat FC Dallas 1-0 in Drew Moor's Final Home Game - Colorado Rapids
- Charlotte FC Still Dreaming About Playoffs with Upset Win Over Philadelphia - Charlotte FC
- Drew Moor Makes Final Appearance at Altitude, Rapids Close Out 2022 Home Campaign With 1-0 Victory Over FC DallasÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Falls 1-0 to Colorado Rapids - FC Dallas
- GEODIS Preview: Nashville SC Hosts Houston Dynamo FC on Fan Appreciation Night at GEODIS Park - Nashville SC
- New England Revolution Defeat Atlanta United FC, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes to Host Minnesota Tonight in Final Home Match of 2022 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Seven CF Montréal Academy Players Called up by Canada's U17 Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Houston Dynamo FC Return to League Play on Sunday in Nashville - Houston Dynamo FC
- Keys against FC Dallas: Put on a Show and Finish the Job - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Announce 2022 Team Award Winners - New England Revolution
- Orlando City Travels to Face New York City FC on Sunday - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Close out 2022 Home Campaign against FC Dallas - Colorado Rapids
- Clean Bill of Health for Orlando VisitÃÂ - New York City FC
- Higuaín: "I'm Really Proud to be a Part of this Group, Because It's Giving Everything to Make It to the Playoffs" - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Match Date Changed for Los Angeles FC vs. Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Signs Ukrainian International Defender Sergii Kryvtsov
- New Signings Negri and Stefanelli Have Arrived
- Inter Miami CF Loans Emerson Rodríguez to Club Santos Laguna
- Inter Miami CF Acquires $225,000 in General Allocation Money, 2024 MLS SuperDraft Pick and Priority Homegrown Rights from Philadelphia Union