Hernandez' Big Day Leads Crabs to Split
BRADENTON, Fla. - Stone Crabs catcher Ronaldo Hernandez reached base or drove in a run in five of his seven plate appearances Wednesday, leading the Stone Crabs to a 5-3 win in the first game of a doubleheader with the Bradenton Marauders at LECOM Park.
Hernandez reached base four times in Game 1, as the Stone Crabs (34-31) won a suspended game from Tuesday night.
Left-hander Shane McClanahan turned in marvelous work in Game 2, striking out a career-high 10 in his High-A debut. McClanahan worked around six hits in 5.1 innings to get the win, but Charlotte surrendered a 1-0 lead in the seventh and lost 2-1.
The Stone Crabs put 17 men on base in their multi-day win. After falling behind 1-0 early, Charlotte put runners on second and third in the third inning in Port Charlotte on Tuesday. Upon resumption in Bradenton on Wednesday, Carl Chester grounded an RBI single down the third base line to score a run and tie the game 1-1.
In a tie game in the bottom of the fourth, Zach Rutherford doubled to the wall in center. The next batter was Taylor Walls, who plated Rutherford with a sacrifice fly to left to make it 2-1 Stone Crabs.
After Bradenton (36-29) tied it with an Adrian Valerio solo home run in the fifth, Charlotte fought right back in the bottom of the sixth. After Rutherford walked, Walls reached on a single to put two men on. The Stone Crabs then executed a double steal before Moises Gomez lifted a sacrifice fly to center to make it 3-2. The next batter was Jim Haley, who pulled an RBI single to left to extend the lead to 4-2. Hernandez followed by cranking a double to the wall in center to chase home Haley and cap the rally at 5-2.
Robbie Glendinning added a solo home run in the ninth, but the Stone Crabs held on for a 5-3 win.
Charlotte will wrap up the first half of the season at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday. Stephen Wodos Jr. (3-1, 3.16) is scheduled to make the start, against Cody Bolton (6-3, 1.81) of Bradenton. Coverage starts at 6:15 p.m. on the Stone Crabs Baseball Network.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 12, 2019
- RECAP: Blue Jays Blank Fire Frogs, 4-0 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Stanton, Gilliam Homer Twice Apiece in 6-2 Victory - Tampa Tarpons
- Mount Helps Daytona Climb Past Lakeland, 4-3 - Daytona Tortugas
- Miracle Fall To Tampa, 6-2 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Hernandez' Big Day Leads Crabs to Split - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Take Down Mets in Rain-Shortened Win - Clearwater Threshers
- Threshers Down Mets 7-2 in Rain-Shortened Game - St. Lucie Mets
- Nautical Night, Alzheimer's Awareness Night & Fireworks Coming Soon - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Dunedin Clinches First Half Title with a Win - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Clearwater Stifled by St. Lucie's Pitching in Shutout Loss - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.