Hagerstown Suns Game Notes
The Suns wrap up their first half schedule with a game against the West Virginia Power at Municipal Stadium at 2:05 p.m. LHP Tim Cate (4-4, 2.81 ERA) takes the ball for Hagerstown while West Virginia counters with Devin Sweet (2-2, 4.04 ERA).
SUNS SWEPT BY POWER IN DOUBLEHEADER: The Suns weren't able to break through against West Virginia pitching and were swept in a doubleheader at Municipal Stadium Saturday.West Virginia took game one by a score of 9-3, and then won game two 2-1 against Hagerstown. Tomas Alastre took the ball for the Suns in game one, but the right-hander got knocked around a bit. In total, Alastre allowed seven runs on eight hits over four innings of work, and seven of those hits went for extra bases. West Virginia started its attack in the first inning after a two-out Julio Rodriguez double, when Bobby Honeyman knocked him home with a double of his own. Ryan Tapani took the ball for the Suns and put together a solid start. The righty allowed two runs on six hits over 4.1 innings, while recording a career-high seven strikeouts. The first six outs Tapani recorded were via the punchout.
DOUBLE TROUBLE: After the Suns were swept in the doubleheader against West Virginia yesterday, their record in doubleheaders this season is 2-6.
GONNA RIDE TILL I CAN'T NO MORE: The Suns clinched a .500 record at home with their walk-off win over Lakewood Tuesday, but since have lost their last four home contests. The Suns hold an 18-17 home record with one home game remaining in the first half.
WE'RE NOT WORTHY: Peguero continues to have poor luck this season. Despite having the lowest ERA amongst qualifying pitchers on the team (2.54), the Suns have just a 3-10 record when he starts. Yesterday he worked his sixth quality start and exited the game with a 5-1 lead, but the bullpen gave up seven runs, four of which were earned.
TREMENDOUS TURNER: Trey Turner was activated from Extended Spring Training May 8, since then, he has appeared in eight games, spinning 12.1 innings and punching out 23 batters. Opponents are merely hitting .119 against him in the time he's been in the South Atlantic League.
HAVE YOURSELF A DAY, DAY: Chandler Day spun two innings in Friday's win over Delmarva to keep Hagerstown in front of the Shorebirds.. Since May 6, the Vanderbilt-product has turned a new leaf. In 18.1 innings, he has allowed just nine hits while setting down 17 batters via the strikeout and allowing just two earned run. It's been good enough to drop his ERA from 5.29 to 3.15 over his last seven outings. During that span, his opponent's batting average has also dropped significantly from .314 to .252. In May, the righty made six appearances and earned a 1.80 ERA in 15 innings pitched, while holding opponents to a .142 average.
HEY NOW, YOU'RE AN ALL-STAR: Jacob Rhinesmith and Gilbert Lara will represent Hagerstown in the 60th annual South Atlantic League All-Star game. Lara holds the league's longest hitting streak this season (19 games) and Rhinesmith leads the Suns in on-base percentage (.389).
CLOSE, BUT NO CIGAR: The Suns are now 12-19 in one run games this season. Their 31 games is the most in the South Altantic League.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Lexington Legends Crowned First Half Southern Division Champions - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Stun 'Birds Late in First Half Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Tostado Walk-Off Single Beats Rome, But Lexington Wins 1st-Half Title - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dogs End First Half on High Note But Fall Short of First Half Title - Charleston RiverDogs
- Sheaffer's Four-Hit Day Leads to Sweep of Suns - West Virginia Power
- First Half Comes to a Close on Sunday - Columbia Fireflies
- Harris Hits a Pair of Homers in First Half Finale - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Fall to Power in First Half Finale - Hagerstown Suns
- Promo Preview: Disney Night, Tee Shirt Giveaway and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 16 vs. Lexington (Game 66) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 16) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.