Fireflies Game Notes: June 16 vs. Lexington (Game 66)
Columbia Fireflies (24-41) vs. Lexington Legends (36-32)
RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson (1-6, 5.36) vs. RHP Jon Heasley (5-3, 2.76)
Sun., June 16, 2019 - Segra Park (Columbia, SC) - First Pitch 2:05 p.m. - Game 66
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Fireflies shortstop Ronny Mauricio nearly hit for the cycle in a 6-2 loss to Lexington on Saturday. After starting his night with a double, single and triple, Mauricio walked and grounded out in his final two plate appearances. Hansel Moreno also tallied a pair of hits in the penultimate game of the first half of the season.
BOY, THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY: Mauricio would have been the first Firefly in franchise history to hit for the cycle. The Mets prospect couldn't check the home run box on Saturday, though. For the record, Mauricio has homered just twice this season.
WHAT'S AT STAKE?: Columbia has a chance to knock Lexington out of the playoffs on Sunday. After the win Saturday, the Legends now hold a half-game lead over Charleston and Augusta for first place in the Southern Division. If Columbia wins, mixed with either a RiverDogs or GreenJackets win (or both), the Fireflies will burst Lexington's playoff bubble.
RESPECT: Chandler Avant doubled and walked on Saturday and has now reached base safely in 10 straight games. The former Alabama Crimson Tide infielder has made major strides at the plate this year after hitting just .105 in 11 April games. Since May 16 (21 GP), Avant leads the team with a .375 on-base percentage. His batting average is also .275 during that span.
WHO'S HOT?: Ronny Mauricio leads Columbia in hitting (.295 average). The Mets prospect has performed notably well at the plate as of late:
SINCE MAY 28
Mauricio (12 GP) - .370 (20-for-52), 6 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB, 8 K
SEE YOU IN CHARLESTON, WEST VIRGINIA: Fireflies shortstop Ronny Mauricio was named a South Atlantic League All-Star on June 4. Mauricio is seventh in the league with 70 hits, but he is the only teenager who appears in the top 10 (and that's qualified hitters, too). The second-rated Mets prospect only strikes out 19% of the time which is good for 19th in the SAL. It's worth noting, though, he's the youngest player in the league to appear that high up on the list.
THESE TWO CAN REALLY HIT: Sunday will be Columbia's 12th game this season against Lexington. Two hitters in particular have had great success against the other team all year:
Ronny Mauricio v. LEX in 2019: .372 (10 GP), 4 R, 3 2B, 1 3B, 4 RBI
Eric Cole v. COL in 2019: .429 (10 GP), 9 R, 3 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 13 RBI, 2 SB
Sunday is also Father's Day at Segra Park! Dads get in the game for free, and will receive a voucher for a free 16oz domestic draft beer upon entry. The Fireflies will be hosting a special "Father's Day catch" on the field prior to the game. The catch is scheduled from 12:30 to 1:00, but scheduling is subject to change. You can also purchase a Father's Day themed hat from the Mason Jar team store.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Lexington Legends Crowned First Half Southern Division Champions - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Stun 'Birds Late in First Half Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Tostado Walk-Off Single Beats Rome, But Lexington Wins 1st-Half Title - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dogs End First Half on High Note But Fall Short of First Half Title - Charleston RiverDogs
- Sheaffer's Four-Hit Day Leads to Sweep of Suns - West Virginia Power
- First Half Comes to a Close on Sunday - Columbia Fireflies
- Harris Hits a Pair of Homers in First Half Finale - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Fall to Power in First Half Finale - Hagerstown Suns
- Promo Preview: Disney Night, Tee Shirt Giveaway and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 16 vs. Lexington (Game 66) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 16) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Vientos and Newton Both Go Yard in Finale in West Virginia
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 17 at West Virginia (Game 93)
- Newton Stays Hot, Homers in Fireflies Loss
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 16 at West Virginia (Game 92)
- Fireflies Bats Go Quiet in Opener against West Virginia