Greyhounds Graduate Trevor Daley Announces Retirement
Former Soo Greyhounds captain Trevor Daley has announced his retirement following a 16-season NHL career that includes two Stanley Cups and stops in four NHL cities.
Following the announcement, the Pittsburgh Penguins announced Daley would be joining their front office staff in a hockey operations advisor role. The defenceman played two seasons with the Penguins and helped them win back-to-back Stanley Cups in 2016 and 2017.
Now 37-years-old, Daley was the 10th overall pick of the 1999 OHL Priority Selection and played four seasons on the Greyhounds' blue line spanning 1999-2003. The left-shot defender put up 188 points (59-129- 188) over 216 appearances, good for the second-highest total among rearguards in Greyhounds franchise history. Daley was drafted by the Dallas Stars with the 43rd overall pick of the 2002 NHL Draft and made his NHL debut with the team during the 2003-04 season. The Toronto, Ont. native suited up for 1,058 NHL games, scoring 89 goals and earning 220 assists for a total 309 points over time spent with the Stars, Chicago Blackhawks, Penguins and Detroit Red Wings. This past summer, he became an executive board member of the newly launched Hockey Diversity Alliance aimed at eliminating systemic racism and intolerance in hockey.
The OHL wishes Trevor and his family the very best in his retirement and new ventures.
Two Stanley Cups and 1,000+ games. Congrats on a great career, Trevor Daley! ?@NHLdotcom has more â¡ï¸ https://t.co/scUaUkfaub pic.twitter.com/nVcwVDh5HD
- NHL (@NHL) October 26, 2020
Join us in congratulating our captain Trevor Daley on an outstanding NHL career, and in wishing him good luck on the next step of his hockey journey in his new role with the @penguins organization.#houndsnation pic.twitter.com/5bArqw2DnW
- Soo Greyhounds (@OHLHoundPower) October 26, 2020
The Penguins have added Trevor Daley as a Hockey Operations Advisor.
Full details: https://t.co/ghPfX6hTaz pic.twitter.com/Ed5zcoacIk
- Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) October 26, 2020
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 26, 2020
- Greyhounds Graduate Trevor Daley Announces Retirement - Soo Greyhounds
- Rangers Alumni NHL Free Agency Update - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Soo Greyhounds Stories
- Hound Pound Return/Exchange Update
- Kia CHL Top-10 Spotlight: Greyhounds Ready to Take Off
- @SaultAirport Invite's You to the First Responders 'Frozen' Parade this Saturday
- Academic Spotlight Series; #6 Jacob Holmes
- Pytlik, Malik Among 42 Players Reporting to CZE National Junior Team Selection Camp