Looking for stats?


January 28, 2018 - United States Hockey League (USHL) - Dubuque Fighting Saints News Release

Wild third period comeback crumbles in overtime loss

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - A wild, zany, back-and-forth third period saw the Dubuque Fighting Saints snatch the lead from the Youngstown Phantoms twice, but those leads would not stand. Youngstown tied the game late, and capped the game just a minute into overtime with a hat trick goal from Chase Gresock to slide by the Fighting Saints 6-5 on Saturday night at the Covelli Centre.

Gresock buried the rebound off of a Gianfranco Cassaro shot that handcuffed Saints goaltender James Durham through the five hole to end the game. It was Gresock's third goal of the game, capping off his hat trick on the night, his second of the season.

A wild third period led to the overtime session happening in the first place. Down 3-2 going into the final frame of regulation, the Saints did not take long to get the legs moving. A power play marker from Dalton Hunter tied the game at three, and Alex Steeves continued the power play party just three minutes later to take the 4-3 lead.

Youngstown would bury two of the next three goals in the game to keep pace with the furious Fighting Saints attack that fired 14 shots on goal to Youngstown's 10. A shorthanded goal by Matthew Barry tied things up again, but just over a minute later, another Youngstown penalty- one of six in the third period- gave the Saints ample opportunity to re-take the lead. And they did.

Josh Maniscalco raced down the wing and had Adam Tisdale bearing down the wing on the back post. Maniscalco's feed found him on the back door for an easy tap in as the Saints retook the lead at 5-4. That lead did not last for long, as just over a minute and 20 seconds later, following a blocked shot in the defensive zone, Tommy Parrottino capitalized on a rebound of a Matthew Thomson shot to lock the game up at 5-5.

It was the aforementioned Thomson that got Youngstown going to begin the game as the Saints were guilty of back-to-back roughing minors from Scott Corbett and Maniscalco, creating a 5-on-3 power play opportunity for the home team. Curtis Hall threaded the needle to Thomson who snapped home his ninth of the season to put Youngstown on top. They would double their lead 10 minutes later thanks to Gresock's first of the night.

Chayse Primeau cut the lead in half late in the first, and Quinn Preston knotted the game up at two with a snap shot off of an offensive zone faceoff that bested Youngstown goaltender Wouter Peeters, who picked up his first win since December 14, a span of seven games without one. Gresock added one back to give Youngstown the lead after two periods of play at 3-2.

These two teams go right back after it Sunday afternoon at 2:05 p.m. CST at the Covelli Centre. Follow all of the intense action on the home of the Saints, Dubuque's Super Hits 106.1 FM, or on the USHL's streaming video provider, HockeyTV.

• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...

United States Hockey League Stories from January 28, 2018

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories