Greens and Switchbacks Play to Scoreless Stalemate
A defensive battle led to a scoreless draw at Weidner Field in Colorado Springs Saturday night
The first half resulted in few chances for either side, but the Greens came closest to scoring. Nicolas Taravel towered above the defense to get on the end of Tucker Stephenson's corner kick in the 30th minute. Unfortunately, the effort just skimmed off the top of the net from seven yards.
The second half wasn't much different from the first with both defenses allowing little opportunity for the opposition's attack.
After having a fairly quiet night, CJ Cochran made a big save to keep the match scoreless in the 86th minute. Rony Argueta's blast from 30 yards looked set for the back of the net, but Cochran reacted quickly to make the stop to his right side.
The match ended on a sour note after Zach Ellis-Hayden was sent off in the fifth minute of added time. Things got heated between Colorado Springs forward Luke Ferreira and Ellis-Hayden, after the former refused to give up the ball in attempt at time wasting. Ellis-Hayden, after being pushed, got in Ferreira's face, who went down, grabbing his face despite minimal contact being made.
Energy FC is now on eight points and remains in fourth place in Group D.
Next up for the Greens is the second Black Gold Derby of the season. Your local club travels up the turnpike next Saturday, September 12 for a 7 p.m. CT kickoff against the rivals formerly known as the Tulsa Roughnecks. Tickets in the away section can be purchased here.
The last home match of the season is Sunday, September 27 at 5 p.m. Tickets are on sale now.
OKC: Hernandez, Yellow Card, 34'
COS: Argueta, Yellow Card, 89'
OKC: Taravel, Yellow Card, 90+2'
OKC: Ellis-Hayden, Red Card, 90+9'
OKC Starting XI: GK: CJ Cochran; D: Zach Ellis-Hayden, Christian Ibeagha (c), Nico Taravel, Joe Amico; M: Charlie Ward (Brad Dunwell, 44'), Jose Hernandez, Arun Basuljevic F: Tucker Stephenson, Jaime Chavez (Omar Gordon, 85'), Cordell Cato (Jonathan Brown, 54')
Subs Not Used: Cody Laurendi, Mike da Fonte
COS Starting XI: GK: Sean Melvin; D: Gabe Robinson, Arturo Diz Pe, Everardo Rubio, Joan Cervos; M: Hiroki Kurimoto (c), Andre Lewis, Rony Argueta, George Lebese (Uvaldo Luna, 71'); F: Aidan Daniels, Christian Volesky (Luke Ferreira, 81')
Subs Not Used: Abraham Rodriguez, Vladmir Walent, Abdul Rwatubyaye, Austin Dewing, Mamadi Camara
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 5, 2020
- Memphis Takes One Point against Group Leader - Memphis 901 FC
- Switchbacks FC Play out to Scoreless Draw against OKC Energy FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Extends Unbeaten Streak to 11 Matches with 3-2 Win over RGV FC - San Antonio FC
- Second Half Effort Not Enough as Toros Fall to SAFC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Tyler Pasher's Ninth Goal of Season Not Enough to Jumpstart Comeback to LIPAFC Rival - Indy Eleven
- Legion FC Comes Away with Point at Memphis 901 FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- With Hat Trick, Dane Kelly Shoulders Responsibility as Charlotte Independence Rolls Past North Carolina FC in 3-1 Win - Charlotte Independence
- Battery Maintain Unbeaten Streak in 1-1 Draw Against Miami FC - Charleston Battery
- Greens and Switchbacks Play to Scoreless Stalemate - OKC Energy FC
- Torres's Second Half Goal Powers Hartford to 2-1 Victory - Hartford Athletic
- LouCity Blows by Indy, Assumes First Place - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Falls to the Charlotte Independence, 3-1 - North Carolina FC
- GAMEDAY REPORT: Miami Held as Battery Edge Toward Playoffs - Miami FC
- Hounds Win Third Straight, Defeat New York, 3-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rising Rematch vs. Vegas, Tonight at 7:30 PM on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ - Phoenix Rising FC
- Preview: Bounce Back Week - Hartford Athletic
- Orange County Look for Double over Los Dos - Orange County SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.