GIANTS TEAM UP WITH CMHA VANCOUVER-FRASER FOR GAME AGAINST MEDICINE HAT
Vancouver, B.C. - The Vancouver Giants and the Canadian Mental Health Association Vancouver-Fraser Branch are teaming up to raise awareness about the importance of mental health on Saturday, February 3 rd when the Vancouver Giants play host to the Medicine Hat Tigers at 7:00 PM at the Langley Events Centre.
Saturday's game will feature: - A CMHA kiosk so fans can learn more about mental health. - Videos featuring Vancouver players talking about the importance of mental health. - Public address announcements about mental health. - The players will be sporting green skate-laces and using green stick-tape to help create further awareness.
The awareness campaign is part of the ongoing commitment by the Vancouver Giants and CMHA Vancouver-Fraser Branch to implement Talk Today . Talk Today provides mental health support to players and raises awareness about mental health and suicide prevention throughout communities across the Western Hockey League.
A key piece of the Talk Today program has been to educate players about mental health and suicide prevention. Every team has received mental health training specific to suicide prevention. Each team is also now linked to a CMHA Mental Health Coach, who provides support and mental health resources to individuals in need.
"CMHA Vancouver-Fraser is proud to partner with the Vancouver Giants to support the players in strengthening their psychological health, building resiliency, and increasing mental health literacy and suicide prevention. Through education and awareness, we will ensure mental health for all players within the communities where they live, work and play", said Sarah Zurbuchen, President-Board of Directors, Canadian Mental Health Association, Vancouver-Fraser Branch.
"It is very important that our team and our league participates in this important initiative," adds Vancouver Giants Head Coach, Jason McKee. "Every day we strive to provide a safe, enjoyable and healthy environment for our players, and the Talk Today initiative provides an excellent resource for all of us so that we can continue to have an open, honest conversation about mental health."
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 31, 2018
- GIANTS TEAM UP WITH CMHA VANCOUVER-FRASER FOR GAME AGAINST MEDICINE HAT - Vancouver Giants
- BRONCOS BLANK COUGARS IN SWIFT CURRENT - Prince George Cougars
- RECAP: Medicine Hat (2) at Kelowna (5) - Kelowna Rockets
- Recap: Raiders 3, Rebels 4 (OT) - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Hire Bob Brown as Senior Advisor
- Vancouver Giants Sign Forward Lukas Svejkovsky
- Sportsnet Acquires Exclusive Radio Rights to Vancouver Giants
- Giants Athletic Therapist Mike Burnstein to Represent Canada at the World Juniors
- Michael Dyck Named Head Coach of the Vancouver Giants