Giants Hold off Nuts for 5-3 Win
SAN JOSE, CA (June 11th, 2013) -- Modesto made things interesting late, pulling within a run over the final three innings, but the Giants were able to stave off the Nuts for a 5-3 win on Tuesday night at Municipal Stadium.
Trailing 4-1 in the seventh, shortstop Trevor Story belted a 2-run homer to get the Nuts back within a run. Modesto then put two in scoring position in the eighth with only one out, but reliever Luis Rojas got out of the inning with no damage done. The Giants then added an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth, and Bryce Bandilla struck out the side in the ninth for his third save of the year.
Nuts starter Tyler Gagnon (5-4) suffered the loss, giving up four runs (three earned) in six innings of work. San Jose got the scoring started in the second with three extra-base hits, including RBI doubles by Jeff Arnold and John Polonius.
Modesto cut the deficit in half in the fourth as Ryan Casteel doubled home Taylor Featherston from first-base with two away in the inning. That would be the only run allowed by Giants starter Edwin Escobar (1-3) who earned his first win of the season.
Mac Williamson doubled in the fifth and came around to score on a two-out single by Polonius. San Jose got their final run in the bottom of the eighth on a strikeout by Ken Roberts against Polonius, but Williamson crossed home on a passed ball by catcher Will Swanner.
The Nuts (31-34) will wrap up a seven-game road trip, and their road slate in the first half this season, tomorrow night in a rubber-match against San Jose (40-25). RHP Chris Jensen (2-4, 3.67) will face off against Giants RHP Clayton Blackburn (3-3, 4.30). First pitch is set for 7 p.m. Modesto returns to John Thurman Field on Thursday night to host the final four gams of the first half against the Bakersfield Blaze.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from June 12, 2013
- Quakes Swept, Return Home Thursday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- "Dig for Dad" Promotion Concludes First Half of 2013 - Visalia Rawhide
- Rawhide Homestand Preview - Visalia Rawhide
- Rawhide Slug Their Way Past Blaze - Visalia Rawhide
- Despite Three Homers, Ports Fall to 66ers 6-4 - Stockton Ports
- Giants Hold off Nuts for 5-3 Win - Modesto Nuts
- Rawhide Return Powerful Favor, Beat Blaze 9-3 - Bakersfield Blaze
- 66ers Playoff Hopes Re"Born", IE Wins 4th Straight - Inland Empire 66ers
- Giants Pitchers Strike out 15 in 5-3 Win over Nuts - San Jose Giants
- Tucker, Lefties Put End to Losing Streak - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.