Giants Fall 3-2 in Overtime Tuesday in Spokane
Spokane, WA - Tuesday night in Spokane, WA the Vancouver Giants fell 3-2 in overtime to the Spokane Chiefs in Game 3 of the Western Conference Championship series. Jake McGrew scored at 8:51 of overtime giving the Chiefs their first win of the series. Eli Zummack and Luke Toporowski had goals in regulation for the Chiefs while Justin Sourdif and Jared Dmytriw responded with goals for the Giants. David Tendeck made 35 saves in net for Vancouver while Bailey Brkin stopped 27 for Spokane. The Giants still maintain a 2-1 series lead with Game 4 set for tomorrow night.
Shots: 11-4 Spokane
SPO - Eli Zummack (4) put Spokane on the board when he knocked home a Nolan Reid rebound past David Tendeck. Luke Toporowski secured the second assist.
Shots: 12-10 Spokane
VAN - Justin Sourdif (1) potted his first goal of the 2019 playoffs at 2:22 off a shot from the right-wing circle off the rush.Milos Roman and Kaleb Bulych drew the helpers.
SPO - Luke Toporowski (6) answered with a goal for Spokane off a two-on-one rush.Riley Woods and Eli Zummack assisted as Spokane took their second lead of the night.
VAN - The Giants power play came up with a clutch goal at 17:01. Jared Dmytriw's shot from the left-wing boards deflected off a Spokane defender and through Bailey Brkin. Dmytriw's seventh goal of the playoffs and third of the series was assisted by Alex Kannok Leipert and Lukas Svejkovsky.
SPO - Jake McGrew (2) helped the Chiefs secure their first win of the series at 8:51 of overtime when he knocked a low shot through the legs of David Tendeck off a scrum in front of the net. Bobby Russell had the lone assist.
Final Score: Spokane 3 - Vancouver 2 (OT)
Final Shots: 38-29 Spokane
David Tendeck: 35/38 saves for Vancouver (6-1-1-0)
Bailey Brkin: 27/29 saves for Spokane (9-4-0-0)
Vancouver PP: 1/2
Spokane PP: 0/1
1. Jake McGrew (SPO - OTG)
2. Eli Zummack (SPO - 1G, 1A)
3. Justin Sourdif (VAN - 1G)
Next Game: Tomorrow night at 7:05 PM
- The Giants power play has now scored in 12 of their 13 playoff games in 2019 and is 3/6 so far in the series.
- The Spokane Chiefs are 0/5 on the power play so far in the series.
- Jared Dmytriw extended his point-streak to five straight games and now has five goals and three assists for eight points in that span.
- The Giants are now 2-1 in overtime so far in the 2019 WHL Playoffs
*Game 4 tomorrow night can be seen at both the LEC in the Banquet Hall or at Pat Quinn's Restaurant at Tsawwassen Springs.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 24, 2019
- Canada Tops Group a with Perfect Record at U18 Worlds - Winnipeg Ice
- New Score Clock Coming to the Innovation Credit Union I-Plex - Swift Current Broncos
- Kelowna Rockets Extend Mallette - Kelowna Rockets
- Giants Fall 3-2 in Overtime Tuesday in Spokane - Vancouver Giants
- Chiefs Top Giants in Game 3 Overtime Thriller - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Drop Game 3 in Edmonton - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Vancouver Giants Fall in Kamloops to Kick off the Weekend
- Byram Named to Team WHL's Roster for 2019 Cibc Canada Russia Series
- Giants Wrap up Prairie Road Swing with a 4-2 Win in Regina
- Nielsen's Three Point Night Sparks Giants in a 4-1 Win in Moose Jaw
- Vancouver Giants Edged 2-1 by Blades Wednesday in Saskatoon