Georgia Swarm Add Six New Players at 2019 NLL Entry Draft
PHILADELPHIA - The Georgia Swarm went into the 2019 NLL Entry Draft at Xfinity Live! with 11 selections, but after numerous trades, the team walked away with six draftees and acquired a new forward prior to the draft's beginning.
The Swarm's work began hours before the draft, as the team acquired Zach Miller from the San Diego Seals in exchange for a second round (No. 28 overall) selection in the 2019 Entry Draft.
Miller is a left-handed forward who played in one game for the Seals in 2019 before missing the rest of the season due to injury. The 23-year-old spent three seasons at the University of Denver. In addition to winning an NCAA Division I national championship with the program in 2015, Miller was a nominee for the Tewaaraton Award twice and a three-time All American. He finished his collegiate career with 168 points (91G, &&A) in 58 games.
Once the Entry Draft started, the Swarm used their first-round draft picks to select Kason Tarbell (No. 11 overall) and Ryan MacSpadyen (No. 13 overall), then traded their two remaining second-round picks to the Philadelphia Wings and Calgary Roughnecks for a 2021 second-round selection from each team.
Tarbell is currently playing on Team Iroquois in the World Indoor Lacrosse Championships and played for the Six Nations Chiefs in the Major Series Lacrosse (MSL). A graduate of Cornell University, Tarbell finished with 28 points (19G, 9A), 50 ground balls, and 11 caused turnovers in 58 games played.
MacSpadyen played with Mercy University and the Brooklin Lacrosse Club of the MSL. At Mercy, he posted 239 points (133G, 106A), 62 ground balls, and 12 caused turnovers in 67 games.
"I like to run the ball, play defense fast, and I like to push the pace up," MacSpadyen said about his style of play. "I like to play both sides of the ball sometimes. Mostly I'm just looking to rip off the top in a breakaway or help my team in any way I can."
The Swarm would next select T.J. Comizio out of Villanova University in the third round (No. 44 overall). Comizio played 60 games for Villanova, finishing with 25 points (2G, 23A), 172 ground balls, and 61 caused turnovers.
The Swarm picked University of Maryland Baltimore County grad Gunnar Schimoler in the fourth round (No. 59 overall) after trading their other fourth-round selection to New England for a fourth-round pick in the 2020 Entry Draft. In the fifth round, the Swarm picked Jordan Gillis from the Hamilton Bengals Jr. B and Mikey Herring out of the University of Virginia with the 74th and 75th picks, respectively.
The Swarm's final selection - No. 87 overall in the sixth round - was waived.
With the 2019 NLL Entry Draft now behind them, the Swarm turn their attention towards training camp and the Season Opener against the Rochester Knighthawks on Saturday, Nov. 30. Faceoff at Blue Cross Arena is set for 7:00 p.m. ET.
Sting City Memberships for the 2019-20 Swarm season are on sale now. Fans can join the most exclusive lacrosse club in the South by visiting StingCity.com or by calling 844-4-GASWARM.
Images from this story
Georgia Swarm draftee Ryan MacSpadyen
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 18, 2019
- Philadelphia Wings Add 7 Players to Roster at 2019 NLL Entry Draft - Philadelphia Wings
- Black Wolves Round out 2019 NLL Entry Draft with 4 Picks - New England Black Wolves
- Philadelphia Wings Add 7 Players to Roster at 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Philadelphia Wings
- 2019 NLL Entry Draft in the Books as the Halifax Thunderbirds, New York Riptide and Rochester Knighthawks Head to Inaugural Seasons - NLL
- Colorado Mammoth Selects Seven Players in 2019 Draft - Colorado Mammoth
- Halifax Thunderbirds Select Six Players at 2019 NLL Entry Draft - Halifax Thunderbirds
- Seals Select Six in NLL Entry Draft - San Diego Seals
- Bandits Draft Six in 2019 NLL Entry Draft - Buffalo Bandits
- Warriors 2019 NLL Draft Recap - Vancouver Warriors
- Rush Land Transition Tandem Amongst Three First-Rounders at NLL Draft - Saskatchewan Rush
- Roughnecks Select Seven Players in 2019 NLL Draft - Calgary Roughnecks
- Georgia Swarm Add Six New Players at 2019 NLL Entry Draft - Georgia Swarm
- New England Selects Zach Goodrich with 17th Overall Pick in 2019 NLL Draft - New England Black Wolves
- Knighthawks Select 10 Players in 2019 NLL Entry Draft - Rochester Knighthawks
- Rock Add Aaron Forster with First Pick at NLL Draft - Toronto Rock
- Riptide Select 11 in 2019 NLL Entry Draft - New York Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Georgia Swarm Stories
- Swarm Ink Miles Silva to a Two-Year Deal
- Swarm Sign Five Draftees to Two-Year Contracts
- Swarm Make Numerous Key Additions at 2020 NLL Entry Draft
- Georgia Swarm Promote Michael Garrison to Vice President of New Business Development
- Georgia Swarm Nominated for Gwinnett Chamber Small Business Awards