Generals Weekly Report
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals had a jam packed weekend with two games at Perani and one on the road. Although they concluded their three games with a 1-1-0-1 record, there were a lot of positive things for fans to take away.
The weekend began before a single minute of hockey was even played when they welcomed two new faces to the locker room, former NHL center Bryan Smolinski and rookie Steve Silver. Both men began their seasons on a positive note, each scoring a goal and an assist through three games.
The Generals and Komets entertained a boisterous crowd of over 2,200 on Friday night at Perani Arena, but it was the defending champions who snuck out with a 4-3 shoot-out win. On Saturday in Dayton, Generals rookie goalie Rob Nolan was solid in stopping 24 out of the 25 shots fired his way, but Ryan Mior was perfect for Dayton as the Gems, who were outshot 32-25, stole a 1-0 decision. The Generals concluded the weekend with a Sunday Matinee game at home and rewarded their fans with a 6-2 assault on the 1-4-1-0 Mallards. The 6 goals were the highest output by the Generals this young season with Jamie Schaafsma leading the way with three points, including two goals.
Week four of the 2009-10 season shall be a busy one for the team, playing four games in five nights. A Wednesday night game on Nov. 11th at Perani Arena against the Dayton Gems kicks things off. The organization has teamed up with Calvary House for this special Veterans Day event. Calvary House is a non-profit established to aid U.S. Soldiers and their families as they return home from OIF/OEF. The night will include a ceremonial puck drop, tribute poetry reading, and much more.
The action continues Friday night in Muskegon when the Generals faceoff against the Lumberjacks for the first time since opening night when the Generals topped the 'Jacks 3-1 at Perani. The Generals will head back to Perani Arena Saturday at 7:30pm for game one of a home and home set with the Port Huron IceHawks, game two is Sunday at McMorran at 5:00pm. All games, home and away, are available for viewing on the B2 network, and a free audio-only webcast is also available. Click on the Generals website at www.flintgenerals.com to tune in.
Tickets for all Generals home games for the 2009-10 season are available at the Perani Arena Ticket Office or through Ticketmaster. For group rates with the Generals call the Generals office at (810) 744-0222 or visit our website at www.flintgenerals.com.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from November 9, 2009
- Mior Records Gems First Shutout - IHL 2
- Mallards Harrison Named IHL Player Of The Week - Quad City Mallards
- Generals Silver Gets Rookie Honors - Flint Generals
- Generals Weekly Report - Flint Generals
- IHL Announces Weekly Honors - IHL 2
- Martin Earns Award - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Mallards Owner Lencheski To Address 2009 Sports Management Conference - Quad City Mallards
- Generals Weely Notes - Flint Generals
- 'Jacks Vault into Third Place - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals