Generals Silver Gets Rookie Honors
FLINT, MI - Coming off of a forgettable October, the Flint Generals look towards an improved month two of the 2009-10 hockey season. The first sign of improvement comes in the form of individual recognition for Steve Silver who was named the Meijer/IHL rookie of the week for week four.
Silver, 23, joined the Generals last week just in time for Friday's big game against Fort Wayne. And he did not waste any time showing coaches and fans he intends on making the most of his first pro season. The 6'2" 225 pound defenseman from Brighton, MI, who spent the past four seasons playing for Western Michigan, has made an immediate impact.
"Steve was thrown into the fire unexpectedly and he showed great poise all weekend," said Generals coach Jason Muzzatti.
In his three games played, Silver collected a goal in Friday's shootout loss to the Komets and an assist on the Gens fifth goal Sunday night against the Mallards. He has also tied defenseman Jake Pence for a team high +/- of plus 4. Through four weeks of play, Silver is the first Generals player to receive individual accolades.
Silver and the Generals get back to work this week with a strenuous of 4 games in 5 nights schedule. Wednesday they host the Dayton Gems for the first time this season for a special Veterans Day duel with the opening faceoff set for 7:30 pm. Friday they hit the road for the west coast to Muskegon where they'll meet the Jacks for the second time this season at 7:00 pm. Saturday they will head back east to Perani for game one of a home and home set with the IceHawks, game time scheduled for 7:30 pm. Sunday's matchup in Port Huron is set for a 5:00 Matinee at McMorran.
Tickets for Wednesday, Saturday and all Generals home games are available at the Perani Arena Ticket Office, through Ticketmaster. For group rates with the Generals call the Generals office at (810) 744-0222 or visit our website at www.flintgenerals.com.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from November 9, 2009
- Mior Records Gems First Shutout - IHL 2
- Mallards Harrison Named IHL Player Of The Week - Quad City Mallards
- Generals Silver Gets Rookie Honors - Flint Generals
- Generals Weekly Report - Flint Generals
- IHL Announces Weekly Honors - IHL 2
- Martin Earns Award - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Mallards Owner Lencheski To Address 2009 Sports Management Conference - Quad City Mallards
- Generals Weely Notes - Flint Generals
- 'Jacks Vault into Third Place - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals