Generals Weekly Recap
FLINT, MI - The Generals spent their Halloween weekend touring Illinois with a stop in Moline where they met the Quad City Mallards followed by a matchup in Bloomington with the PrairieThunder.
Hoping to turn their season around, the Gens came out with intensity Friday night at the i Wireless Center, scoring just 2:30 into the opening period with an unassisted goal off the stick of Tyler Willis. Lucas Schott made it a 2-0 lead for Flint at 6:46. The Gens' lead was cut in half by former General Joel Gasper when he beat JF Labbe with a shorthanded marker at 15:33. The first period saw the majority of the game's penalties, and the only fight of the night when Derek Parker and Jason Goulet fought. Both were assessed fighting majors and 10 minute misconducts for their efforts. The Mallards evened the score in the second with a Brandon Marino goal at the 5:31 mark, but the Generals' Burke Henry came up big with an early third period goal and Labbe was able to hold off the Mallards and the Generals picked up their first road win of the season.
After the win on Friday, the Generals were looking to make it two in a row, but the Prairie Thunder had other plans. Bloomington opened the scoring with a late first period power play goal at the hands of Zach Pearson. The second period saw the teams trade chances, but no goals were scored despite Flint outshooting Bloomington 11-10 in the period. Bloomington increased their lead to 2-0 at the 2:44 mark of the third with a goal by newcomer Jesse Dudas. The Generals battled back, cutting the Bloomington lead in half with a power play goal less than a minute later when Jamie Schaafsma lit the lamp off of a terrific pass from Tony Tullolino at 3:38. The Prairie Thunder regained their two goal lead at 7:59 of the third thanks to another power play goal, this time by Craig McDonald. The Generals fought back once again with their second power play goal of the night at 13:12 off the stick of Greg Bullock. The Generals were able to generate a lot of pressure in the Bloomington zone but goaltender Paulo Coliacovo closed the door, denying the Generals in their attempt at a weekend sweep.
The Generals return to Perani Arena Friday night at 7:30pm when the two-time Turner Cup Champion Fort Wayne Komets come to town. They then head to Dayton for a Saturday night game against the Gems, then return home on Sunday for a 4:00pm matinee against the Quad City Mallards. All fans are invited to 'Skate with the Generals' after Sunday's game.
Tickets for all Generals games are available at the Perani Arena Box Office Monday - Friday from 1 noon until 4pm, with the box office opening at 10am on game day. Tickets can also be purchased by phone by calling (810) 844-0580, or online at www.ticketmaster.com
The Generals are offering a special rate on Group Tickets for groups of 10 or more if purchased before November 5th.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from November 2, 2009
- Komets Split For Share Of First Place; Boucher, DeAngelis IHL Players Of Week - Fort Wayne Komets
- Special Teams Highlighted Friday Contest - IHL 2
- MacMillan and Big Snake Suspended - IHL 2
- IHL Announces Weekly Honors - IHL 2
- Generals Make Early November Moves - Flint Generals
- MacDonald Earns IHL Honor - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- PrairieThunder in First, Face Tough Stretch - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Mallards Acquire Granbois From Bloomington - Quad City Mallards
- Generals Weekly Recap - Flint Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals