Generals Upset League Leading 'Jacks In 4-3 Shootout
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals upset the league leading Muskegon Lumberjacks 4-3 in a thrilling come-from-behind contest in a shootout. The win was the Generals second in a row and improved their record to 5-12-0-2.
With three Muskegon goals in under ten minutes, the opening period did not begin how the Generals had intended. Prolific scorer Robin Bouchard opened up the scoring at the 5:10 mark going high stick side with a shot from the slot after taking a pass from John DiPace who was at the top of the circle to the left of Jean- Francois Labbe. Matt Krug made it 2-0 Lumberjacks with a score at 7:38, getting the assist from John DiPace.
After Bouchard got his second of the night at 8:24 giving the 'Jacks a 3-0 lead, the Generals made a change in goal, putting in rookie Rob Nolan who has been great this season despite not winning his first game until Friday in Dayton. The Gens responded with an unassisted goal from the faceoff circle left of Matt Lundin courtesy of John Mori at 10:03.
The second period was tightly played by both teams. The first action was almost eleven minutes in when after a big hit along the boards on Bouchard resulted in a battle between Craig Cescon and Adam Welch. Then at 12:39, Rick Smith recorded his first goal of the season when he wrapped the puck around the corner of the net after it landed on his stick when it took a funny bounce off the boards. Jake Pence and Nate Ward assisted on the play.
Brandon Gentile tied the game at 3-3 on the power play at 18:11 of the final frame, Pascal Rheaume and Greg Bullock assisted on the goal that sent the game into overtime. The extra five minutes saw no decision and the game went to a shootout where the Generals pulled off the upset, getting goals from Jamie Schaafsma and Pascal Rheaume.
Rob Nolan stopped all 35 shots faced in regulation as the Generals went on to win their second straight game.
Thursday, Dec. 3rd the Gens will have their first Player of the Month Luncheon at Wize Guys Pizza from 12:30-1:30pm. They return to action this Friday, December 4th when Bloomington comes to town. The Generals are hosting "Pre-Holiday Shopping, Season Ticket Holder Bring a Friend and Lapeer Minor Hockey Night." Fans will be able to purchase various products from local businesses that will have tables set up around the concourse before and during the game.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from November 30, 2009
- Bouchard IHL Player Of Week - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Generals Nolan And Gentile Receive League Honors - Flint Generals
- Mallards Fly Into Winning Column - IHL 2
- IHL Weekly Honors For Week Seven - IHL 2
- Komets Home For Two This Weekend - Fort Wayne Komets
- Generals Take Part In Red Kettle Chirstmas Campaign - Flint Generals
- Generals Weekly Notes - Flint Generals
- 'Jacks Lead League - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Jacks Weekly Notes - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Generals Upset League Leading 'Jacks In 4-3 Shootout - Flint Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals