Generals Dropped By Icehawks 5-1 In Game One Of A Home And Home
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals began their home and home set with the Port Huron IceHawks by falling victim to another Hawks defeat, this time by a score of 5-1.
The hostility between the Generals and the Hawks reared its ugly face early when Craig Cescon and Port Huron newcomer Steve Olesky went toe-to-toe just three minutes into play. Energized by the battle and on the power play, Tony Tuzzolino took advantage of a sprawling Larry Sterling and hit the roof of the inside of the net giving the Generals an early 1-0 lead.
With both teams playing tight and careful hockey, the physicality picked up and the gloves dropped twice more in the first. Cescon battled for the second time in the game this time with Jason Kostadine. The two dropped gloves at center ice shortly after a faceoff and danced all the way down into the Generals offensive zone.
Port Huron dominated the second period scoring three goals in less than five minutes. The first goal came on the power play at 2:02 when a shot from Kris Vernarsky went high stick side on Jean-Francois Labbe, Tab Lardner got the assist. Lardner scored a goal of his own a minute and fifty-five seconds later at 3:57 with help from Mike Kinnie and Vernarsky. Cory Stillman added to the Generals troubles at 4:42, beating Labbe for the third time. The thrashing continued with a goal off the stick of Michael Bedard at 12:10.
The IceHawks continued to put on the pressure in the third period, scoring their fifth goal of the night at the 2:11 mark at the hands of Bedard who converted on a pass from Adam Maccarone, it was Bedard's second goal of the night, and final IceHawks goal.
Labbe stopped 20 of 25 shots through 60:00 minutes of play. The Generals had a total of 47 penalty minutes on 11 infractions and went one for eight on the power play, Port Huron compiled 45 minutes on 14 infractions and went one for four.
The two teams meet again Sunday for a Matinee game at McMorran in Port Huron, faceoff is at 5 pm.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from November 14, 2009
- Generals Dropped By Icehawks 5-1 In Game One Of A Home And Home - Flint Generals
- Bloomington Drops Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- IceHawks win over Generals - Flint Generals
- Thunder Wins 5-3 - Bloomington PrairieThunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals