Game Day Preview: Pats Host Wheat Kings in Final Home Game of 2018-19 Friday
The Regina Pats (18-45-1-2) kick off the final weekend of the season on Friday at home for the first half of a home and home set against the Brandon Wheat Kings (30-28-4-4). Puck drop is at 7:00 p.m. at the Brandt Centre. The Pats were last in action on Wednesday, losing on home ice to the Swift Current Broncos 2-0. The Wheat Kings last game was on Wednesday as well, a 6-2 defeat at home to the Moose Jaw Warriors. Tonight is the seventh of eight meetings between Regina and Brandon in the 2018-19 season, the Pats are 3-2-0-1 in the season series. Tonight's game can be heard with Bennett Dunlop Ford Pats Hockey starting at 6:35 p.m. on 620 CKRM and will also be broadcast on Access 7.
Regular Season Comparison Regina Brandon
Record 18-45-1-2 30-28-4-4
Goals For/Against 164/262 (-98) 221/234 (-13)
Powerplay 16.9% (45/266) 20.9% (53/254)
Penalty Kill 76.1% (242/318) 71.7% (175/244)
Team Save Percentage 0.882 0.899
Leading Scorer Austin Pratt (24-25-49) Stelio Mattheos (44-51-95)
Leading Scorer (Defence) Nikita Sedov (0-16-16) Zach Wytinck (5-38-43)
Scoring by Period (1st-2nd-3rd-OT-SO) 44-63-52-3-2 70-85-57-7-2
The Lead Up: Pats drop 2-0 decision against Swift Current Wednesday
The Regina Pats kicked off the final week of the season on Wednesday with a 2-0 loss to the Swift Current Broncos at the Brandt Centre. In the first, the Broncos got the lone goal at 12:38 from Joona Kiviniemi to lead 1-0 after the opening 20 minutes. In the second, the teams combined to put 32 shots on goal, but there were no goals and it remained 1-0 after 40 minutes. In the third, the Broncos scored on the powerplay at 18:27 from Ethan O'Rourke to go up 2-0 and that was the final score. The Pats and Broncos tied on the shot clock 33-33, the Regina powerplay was oh for three, the penalty kill was three for four, while Max Paddock made 31 saves.
Pats defenceman Brady Pouteau will play in his 200th career Western Hockey League game tonight against the Brandon Wheat Kings. The 20-year-old is in his fourth season in the league. He was drafted in the fourth round of the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft by the Pats, 79th overall. He played 61 games with Regina over two seasons before being traded to the Lethbridge Hurricanes, where he appeared in 61 contests. The Pats got him back in a trade in January of 2018 and he has played in another 77 games since then. The product of Oak Bluff, Manitoba has scored nine goals and 47 points in his career, setting career highs this season with five goals and 15 points in 49 games. He has also appeared in 30 playoff games in the league, making it to the 2017 Eastern Conference Championship and played in the 2018 Memorial Cup.
Head to Head
The Pats are 3-2-0-1 against the Wheat Kings this season and are 3-0-1-0 in the last four meetings between the two clubs. Brandon won the first two matchups in the first half of the year, but since Christmas the Pats have won twice at home, won once on the road and have a shootout loss in Brandon. Regina has scored 16 goals in the season series, the Wheat Kings have 19 goals. Nikita Sedov leads the Pats with six assists in six games against Brandon, Sebastian Streu is next with a goal and four assists for five points, while Austin Pratt and Ty Kolle have scored three times and have four points against Brandon. The Wheat Kings are led by Cole Reinhardt who has five goals and six points against the Pats. Connor Gutenberg and Stelio Mattheos are next with five points in the season series, while Luka Burzan has two goals and two assists for four points.
Pats @ Brandon - Saturday March 15, 6:30 p.m. - Westoba Place (CKRM)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Raiders Taking on Rebels in Round One of 2019 WHL Playoffs - Prince Albert Raiders
- Tigers Dominate Ice 5-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Raiders Drop Close Game In Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Connor McClennon Named March's Player of the Month Presented by Jewels on Ninth - Kootenay Ice
- ICE Announce Eight Year-End Award Winners Prior to Sunday's Game - Kootenay Ice
- Vancouver Giants Announce 2018-19 Award Recipients - Vancouver Giants
- NEWS Pats Announce 2018/19 Individual Award Winners - Regina Pats
- Silvertips to Finish Regular Season with Largest Attendance Since 2010-11, Surpass Three Million Fans in Franchise History - Everett Silvertips
- Trey Fix-Wolansky Signs Entry Level Contract with Blue Jackets - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Game 67 at Kootenay - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE Clash with Tigers on Friday Night - Kootenay Ice
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host Wheat Kings in Final Home Game of 2018-19 Friday - Regina Pats
- Beasts of the East Clash at SaskTel Centre Friday Night - Saskatoon Blades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Pats Close Regular Season with Shootout Loss
- Game Day Preview: Pats Wrap 2018-19 Season in Brandon Saturday
- Pats Wrap Home Slate with Win over Brandon
- NEWS Pats Announce 2018/19 Individual Award Winners
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host Wheat Kings in Final Home Game of 2018-19 Friday