Galaxy Acquire 19th Pick, Rights to Chacon
PASADENA, CA (Friday, January 17, 2003) - The 2002 MLS Cup Champion Los Angeles Galaxy acquired the 19th overall pick in the 2003 MLS SuperDraft and the rights to Honduran forward Alex Pineda Chacon from the New England Revolution, it was announced today by Galaxy VP/General Manager Doug Hamilton. In exchange, the Galaxy sends veteran goalkeeper Matt Reis, who had been with the Galaxy since 1998, to the Revolution. The move provides the Galaxy with its second MLS SuperDraft pick of the second round, giving the club the 19th and 20th selections.
"On behalf of the Galaxy organization, we would like to thank Matt for all of his hard work and dedication over the past five seasons. He has been in important part the Galaxy's success and championships. We wish him well," said Hamilton. "Alex brings a tremendous wealth of experience to our club and we look forward to his contribution on and off the field."
In two MLS seasons, Pineda Chacon has scored 21 goals and 11 assists for a total of 53 points. A native of Honduras, Pineda Chacon was drafted by the Revolution in the second round of the MLS Allocation/Dispersal Draft on January 11, 2002.
Pineda Chacon, who was originally signed by the Fusion as an allocation on March 16, 2001, made an impact for Miami, scoring 19 goals and nine assists. Pineda Chacon completed his first season with the Miami Fusion as the MLS Honda Most Valuable Player and Budweiser Scoring Champion. A 5-8, 150 pound forward, he was also recognized for his overall play and composure as the winner of the MLS Fair Play award in 2001
The Galaxy is scheduled to reconvene January 29, in preparation for Spring Training and the upcoming 2003 season, which will open on April 5 vs. the Columbus Crew at Crew Stadium. Following a league record eight-game road trip, the Galaxy will open its new home The Home Depot Center on Saturday, June 7 vs. the Colorado Rapids.
For information regarding purchasing 2003 L.A. Galaxy season tickets at The Home Depot Center, please call our office toll-free (877) 3-GALAXY or visit our website at: www.lagalaxy.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 17, 2003
- Youth Rules at SuperDraft - MLS
- Wizards Acquire Jimmy Conrad, Draft Four Others in 2003 MLS Super Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Drafts Walsh out of SMU - Columbus Crew SC
- Fire Selects Eight in SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- Galaxy Drafts Local Phenom - LA Galaxy
- MetroStars Inject Eight New Exciting Players From 2003 SuperDraft - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Draft Three Stanford Standouts and Make Two Trades in Busy Day at MLS SuperDraft - San Jose Earthquakes
- United Drafts New Talent - D.C. United
- Burn Lands 2002 Rookie of the Year Finalist Brad Davis in Draft Day Deal - FC Dallas
- Second Round Summary - MLS
- First Round Summary - MLS
- Eskandarian Selected First at MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Galaxy Acquire 19th Pick, Rights to Chacon - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Roster Decisions
- Three LA Galaxy Players Named to USMNT Roster for December Friendly
- 2021 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships Now Available
- Four Additional LA Galaxy Players Depart for International Duty
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3