Frost Heaves pick John Bryant with first round pick
South Burlington, VT. The Vermont Frost Heaves selected John Bryant, a 6-foot-7 power forward with the 10th overall pick in the 2008 PBL draft held today in Chicago. John is returning for his thrid season with the Frost Heaves and was a key figure in the Frost Heaves inaugural championship season. As an anchor of Vermont's frontline in their first year, John averaged 4.9 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.0 blocks.
In john's second season with the Frost Heaves he played in 27 of the 39 games as the Heaves won their second championship in a row. John was sidelined in the final weeks with a torn muscle in his right shoulder. He averaged more than 19 minutes a game, six points, 6.6 rebounds, more than one steal and one block per game. He hit 51.5 percent from the floor for the Heaves, which posted a 37-4 record.
John attended St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia and was a member of one of the most successful classes in St. Joseph's history, winning 96 games over his collegiate career. During his five seasons on Hawk Hill, St. Joe's made five postseason appearances, three in the NCAA Tournament and two in the NIT. In 2003-04 he was a starter in all but three games for the St. Joe's team that went undefeated in the regular season and was ranked number one in the nation. John's unselfish play earned him school awards for spirit and loyalty. After graduation he moved on to the Newcastle Eagles of the British Basketball League, where he helped lead the team to all four of the titles it's possible to win in Great Britain: the BBL Cup, the BBL Trophy, the BBL regular-season championship, and the BBL playoff championship.
With the Frost Heaves second round pick (14th overall) the Frost Heaves selected Taylor Lay, a 6'7" 225 lb small forward who played for the Shamrock Rovers in the Irish Super League last season. Taylor led the IRL Super League in scoring averaging 33.3 points per game, 16.9 rebonds per game and 2.1 assists per game. Taylor played his college ball at UNC Wilmington through the 2006 season.
• Discuss this story on the Premier Basketball League message board...
Premier Basketball League Stories from October 16, 2008
- Manchester Millrats Select Sam Carey with Sixth Pick in PBL Draft - Saint John Riptide
- Frost Heaves pick John Bryant with first round pick - Vermont Frost Heaves
- Detroit Panthers select Willie Mitchell number one in PBL draft - PBL
- Battle Creek Knights Select Kenny Langhorne with 9th pick and Duke Cleveland with 18th pick - Battle Creek Knights
- RazorSharks use draft pick to select local talent, trade second round selection - Rochester RazorSharks
- Rainmen Draft Power Forward With Second Pick - Halifax Rainmen
- Rainmen Draft Former Axemen All-Star - Halifax Rainmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.