Detroit Panthers select Willie Mitchell number one in PBL draft
October 16, 2008 - Premier Basketball League (PBL) News Release
(Chicago, IL. October 16, 2008)... The Premier Basketball League (PBL) is pleased to announce that the Detroit Panthers selected Willie Mitchell as the top pick in the 2nd annual PBL Entry Draft. The draft was held earlier this afternoon at the ESPN Zone in downtown Chicago.
Mitchell, a 6'9" 210-pound Center who played his college ball at Alabama-Birmingham, has also had success playing overseas. Last year he helped the PBL's Quad City Riverhawks win the Western Division regular season title. Mitchell stated, "It is a great honor to be selected first in the PBL draft by the Panthers. I was overwhelmed by the professionalism of the league and the media exposure provided to the players at this incredible event. I cannot wait for training camp to begin, so that I can help the Panthers have a great first season in the PBL."
The following are round-by-round selections from the Draft:
1. Detroit Panthers Willie Mitchell (6'9" 220) C Alabama-Birmingham
2. Halifax Rainmen Walter Moyse (6'10" 225) F Acadia (Nova Scotia)
3. Buffalo Stampede Karl Rainey (6'5" 205) F Johnson C. Smith
4. Montreal Sasquatch Gallo Cham (6'7" 210) F Univ. of North Florida
5. Augusta Groove Demetrius Howard (6'5" 188) G Augusta State
6. Manchester Millrats Sam Carey (6'8' 245) C Southern New Hampshire
7. Quebec City Kebs Larry House (6'4" 205) F Creighton
8. Chicago Throwbacks Imari Sawyer (6'2" 185) G DePaul
9. Battle Creek Knights Kenny Langhorne (6'5" 210) G Southern Arkansas
10. Vermont Frost Heaves John Bryant (6'7" 225) F St. Joseph's
11. Mid-Michigan Destroyers Luke Lloyd (6'9" 190) F Morehead State
12. Rochester RazorSharks Brian Jackson (6'1" 180) G Mountain State
13. Wilmington Sea Dawgs Travis Taylor (6'8" 196) G-F Cape Fear CC
14. Maryland Nighthawks Luis Da Silva, Jr. (6'0" 170) G St. Patrick's HS (N.J.)
15. Wilmington Sea Dawgs Franchot Brown (6'4" 200) F Armstrong Atlantic State
16. Rochester RazorSharks* (*Waived their 2nd Round Pick for the Rights to Draft Ratdech J.O. Kruatiwa from Maryland and undisclosed consideration)
17. Mid-Michigan Destroyers Odgra Bobo (6'6" 210) F Oakland CC
18. Vermont Frost Heaves Taylor Lay (6'7" 225) F UNC Wilmington
19. Battle Creek Knights Duke Cleveland (6'8" 230) F-C Grand Valley State
20. Chicago Throwbacks Jimmie Miles (6'3" 210) G Robert Morris
21. Quebec City Kebs Jean-Philippe Morin (6'7" 230) F Laval (Quebec)
22. Manchester Millrats Roosevelt Lee (6'6" 220) F Midland JC
23. Augusta Groove Lansen Leach (6'0" 185) G Elizabeth City State
24. Montreal Sasquatch Romuald Augustin (6'7" 210) F Bryant
25. Buffalo Stampede Nick Perioli (5'9" 170) G SUNY-Oswego
26. Halifax Rainmen David Bailey (6'9" 230) F Prince Georges CC
27. Detroit Panthers Reginald Riley (6'3" 190) G-F Johnson C. Smith
28. Maryland Nighthawks Patrick Robinson (6'2" 185) G Cincinnati
The lavish event was held today at the ESPN Zone in downtown Chicago, under the spotlight of national media as well as scouts and agents.
"This was an exciting day for our league and players," commented Chairman of the Board Dr. Severko Hrywnak. "Our goal was to give unprecedented exposure for our players, the league and our sponsors and I think we exceeded those expectations. By the abundance of national and local media as well as scouts and agents who were present, I think the league is well on our way to accomplishing our mission."
The event was televised on the PBL's satellite network and will be available for viewing in roughly 10 million homes. The draft will also be streamed on-line beginning tonight at 7 p.m. (EDT).
For additional information contact the Premier Basketball League Chicago, IL office at (773) 844-7251 or email@example.com. For further league information visit www.pblproball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Premier Basketball League message board...
Premier Basketball League Stories from October 16, 2008
- Manchester Millrats Select Sam Carey with Sixth Pick in PBL Draft - Saint John Riptide
- Frost Heaves pick John Bryant with first round pick - Vermont Frost Heaves
- Detroit Panthers select Willie Mitchell number one in PBL draft - PBL
- Battle Creek Knights Select Kenny Langhorne with 9th pick and Duke Cleveland with 18th pick - Battle Creek Knights
- RazorSharks use draft pick to select local talent, trade second round selection - Rochester RazorSharks
- Rainmen Draft Power Forward With Second Pick - Halifax Rainmen
- Rainmen Draft Former Axemen All-Star - Halifax Rainmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.