Manchester Millrats Select Sam Carey with Sixth Pick in PBL Draft
The Manchester Millrats selected former Southern New Hampshire University star Sam Carey with the 6th pick in the PBL Draft, which was held this evening at the ESPN-Zone in downtown Chicago, IL.
"Sam is a rugged interior player who is very skilled on the offensive end, and we think he will develop into a tremendous professional basketball player once he gains experience at the pro level," stated Millrats new Head Coach Rob Spon.
The 6'8 Carey led the Penmen in scoring (16.8 ppg), rebounding (8.7 rpg), and field goal percentage (.629). He was one of just three players in the competitive Northeast-10 Conference to rank in the top ten in both scoring and rebounding.
A 2004 product of Central High School , Carey led the Little Green to a 19-2 record and the semifinals of the Class L state tournament. Averaged 24.3 points during the state tournament and totaled 31 points and 12 rebounds during Central's quarterfinal win over Dover. He was also a two time All-State First Team selection.
Carey was a starter on the Manchester Millrats championship team in the Boston Premiere Pro Exposure Summer League in August. En route to the title, Carey averaged 21.3 points, 9.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists, and 1 block per game against professional basketball players.
"Sam is a great talent and a budding local hero who will surely already has legions of fans in Manchester, and they can now see him perform at a higher level," explained Millrats majority owner Jason Briggs.
In second and final round, the Manchester Millrats then selected 6'6 forward Roosevelt Lee from New Britain, CT. Lee, a tremendous talent and high-riser, came on the radar of Millrats GM Ian McCarthy last summer while playing in the competitive Hartford Pro-Am league.
• Discuss this story on the Premier Basketball League message board...
Premier Basketball League Stories from October 16, 2008
- Manchester Millrats Select Sam Carey with Sixth Pick in PBL Draft - Saint John Riptide
- Frost Heaves pick John Bryant with first round pick - Vermont Frost Heaves
- Detroit Panthers select Willie Mitchell number one in PBL draft - PBL
- Battle Creek Knights Select Kenny Langhorne with 9th pick and Duke Cleveland with 18th pick - Battle Creek Knights
- RazorSharks use draft pick to select local talent, trade second round selection - Rochester RazorSharks
- Rainmen Draft Power Forward With Second Pick - Halifax Rainmen
- Rainmen Draft Former Axemen All-Star - Halifax Rainmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.