Friendly Wager on ICE, Wheat Kings Game to Benefit Boys & Girls Club of Winnipeg
Winnipeg, MB - A friendly wager between Winnipeg City Councilors Kevin Klein and Brian Mayes, with support from the Winnipeg ICE, will benefit the Boys & Girls Club.
Klein, a Referee in Chief in Winnipeg, and Mayes, a former school trustee elected in Brandon, have made the wager on the ICE home opener against the Brandon Wheat Kings on Saturday, September 21 with the losing party donating four tickets to a future ICE home game to the Boys & Girls Club. The Winnipeg ICE will match the ticket amount, meaning eight tickets will go to the not-for-profit organization.
Klein said; "First, I'm grateful the ownership group of the Winnipeg ICE saw the many benefits of relocating to our city and I'm excited for their future, maybe even a Memorial Cup in Winnipeg. Given the ICE players will be attending Shaftesbury High, they are part of the family in Charleswood-Tuxedo-Westwood. When Councillor Mayes and I realized the importance of sports for kids, it's an opportunity to grow and be a part of something. So we decided to celebrate the arrival of the ICE and give a child the chance to experience the game live."
"I am pleased to see junior hockey back with two teams in Manitoba - this should be a great rivalry", said Councillor Mayes.
The Boys & Girls Club of Winnipeg is one of the city's leading youth-serving agencies, operating in areas across the city that need their services. They operate 12 community based clubs and numerous youth development programs to their members, offering a safe alternative to the streets during the evening and after-school hours.
As mentioned above, the Winnipeg ICE Home Opener presented by Nutrien Ag Solutions is scheduled for Saturday, September 21 at 7:30 P.M. CT.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 19, 2019
- Silvertips Returned Defenseman Gianni Fairbrother from the Montreal Canadiens (NHL) - Everett Silvertips
- Silvertips Name Max Patterson and Wyatte Wylie as Assistant Captains - Everett Silvertips
- Broncos Open Regular Season at Home against Calgary - Swift Current Broncos
- Gutenberg Named 63rd Captain in Wheat Kings History - Brandon Wheat Kings
- 'Luypen's Locks' Raises More Than $5,400 for Kids Cancer Care - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Winnipeg ICE, Brandon Wheat Kings Announce Partnership with Princess Auto - Winnipeg Ice
- Indoor Tailgate Party Plans Announced - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blazers Roster at 23 to Start Regular Season - Kamloops Blazers
- Special Presentation Planned for Home Opener - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Wheat Kings, Ice Announce Princess Auto Partnership - Brandon Wheat Kings
- 2019-20 WHL Season Preview: Edmonton Oil Kings - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Friendly Wager on ICE, Wheat Kings Game to Benefit Boys & Girls Club of Winnipeg - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Ice Stories
- Local Kids to Have Opportunity to Interview ICE Players as Part of ICE Kid Reporter Presented by 680 CJOB
- ICE Down Blades 7-2 to Cap off Four-Point Weekend
- Winnipeg ICE Look for Three Straight Victories as It Hosts Saskatoon on Sunday Evening
- Winnipeg ICE Defeat Saskatoon Blades 4-1
- ICE Acquire Veteran Forward Jackson Leppard from Prince George