Gutenberg Named 63rd Captain in Wheat Kings History
Brandon, Man. - The Brandon Wheat Kings will have a new captain when they hit the ice Friday night to kick off their 2019-20 Western Hockey League season.
20-year old veteran Connor Gutenberg becomes the 63rd captain in franchise history, succeeding Stelio Mattheos.
Gutenberg is entering his fifth and final WHL season and the 20-year old local product is the last remaining regular from the Wheat Kings 2016 Championship team.
Chosen by Brandon in the fifth round of the 2014 Bantam Draft, Gutenberg is coming off a season that saw him score sixteen goals and 47 points in 67 regular season games.
Since joining the Wheat Kings in 2015, the former AAA U18 Wheat King center has scored 147 points, including 53 goals in 249 games.
Brandon's alternates for the 2019-20 campaign will be defencemen Braden Schneider and Zach Wytinck as well as forwards Luka Burzan and Cole Reinhardt.
"The coaching staff feels that we have a strong leadership group," says Head Coach Dave Lowry. "The players exemplify everything what we're about as an organization. They have the respect of their teammates and have shown that they're capable of taking on more responsibility."
A former Moose Jaw Warrior, Burzan is entering his second full season in Brandon after scoring 40 goals and 78 points during the 2018-19 season while Reinhardt is entering his fourth WHL campaign.
Schneider and Wytinck meanwhile have played the past two seasons in Brandon.
The Wheat Kings, who went 2-2-0 during their 4-game pre-season schedule, will open up the regular season this weekend with a home and home series with the ICE.
Tickets to the game are on sale at the Keystone Centre box office, online HERE or by calling (204) 726-3555.
FORMER WHEAT KINGS' CAPTAINS:
Bob Gray, Bob Chrystal, Reg Abbott, Aggie Kukulowiecz, Phil Hilton, Claire Smith, Max Szturm, Dunc McCallum, Ed Ehrenverth, Geo Peary, Ted Taylor, Bob Ash, Bill Fairbairn, Jack Wells, Jack Brownlee, Mark Kennedy, Aurel Beaudin, Bob Fitchner, Earl Morris, Dwayne Pentland, Ron Chipperfield, Rick Blight, Dan Bonar, Dale McMullin, Murray Thomson, Brad McCrimmon, Don Dietrich, Kelly McCrimmon, Ken Schneider, Tony Camazzola, Sid Cranston, Cam Plante, Lee Trim, Murray Rice, Terry Yake, Kevin Cheveldayoff, Cam Brown, Brian Purdy, Jeff Hoad, Marty Murray, Chris Dingman, Darren Van Oene, Dan Tetrault, Brad Twordik, Brett Girard, Ryan Craig, Tim Konsorada, Teegan Moore, Mark Derlago, Daryl Boyle, Keith Aulie, Matt Calvert, Brayden Schenn, Shayne Wiebe, Mark Stone, Ryan Pulock, Peter Quenneville, Macoy Erkamps, Nolan Patrick, Tanner Kaspick, James Shearer and Stelio Mattheos.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 19, 2019
- Silvertips Returned Defenseman Gianni Fairbrother from the Montreal Canadiens (NHL) - Everett Silvertips
- Silvertips Name Max Patterson and Wyatte Wylie as Assistant Captains - Everett Silvertips
- Broncos Open Regular Season at Home against Calgary - Swift Current Broncos
- Gutenberg Named 63rd Captain in Wheat Kings History - Brandon Wheat Kings
- 'Luypen's Locks' Raises More Than $5,400 for Kids Cancer Care - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Winnipeg ICE, Brandon Wheat Kings Announce Partnership with Princess Auto - Winnipeg Ice
- Indoor Tailgate Party Plans Announced - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blazers Roster at 23 to Start Regular Season - Kamloops Blazers
- Special Presentation Planned for Home Opener - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Wheat Kings, Ice Announce Princess Auto Partnership - Brandon Wheat Kings
- 2019-20 WHL Season Preview: Edmonton Oil Kings - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Friendly Wager on ICE, Wheat Kings Game to Benefit Boys & Girls Club of Winnipeg - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.