FredNats End Inaugural Season with 6-2 Win
FREDERICKSBURG, VA - The Fredericksburg Nationals finished their inaugural season with a four-game winning streak and a series victory, defeating the Lynchburg Hillcats 6-2 on Sunday afternoon.
The FredNats finished their debut campaign with a 44-76 mark, and a 27-33 record in front of their home fans. Sunday's finale was attended by 4429 fans, the 37th sellout in 57 home dates at FredNats Ballpark this season.
Korey Holland began the game with a solo homer to give Lynchburg an early 1-0 lead, but Rodney Theophile (W, 4-11) left the bases loaded to prevent further damage. An infield error gave the Hillcats a 2-0 edge in the second, but they would be held off the scoreboard for the rest of the afternoon. Theophile tied a career high with seven strikeouts over 5.0 innings.
Jake Boone tied the game for the FredNats in the bottom of the second with a two-out, two-run triple to right-center. They would take the lead for good in the third, as Branden Boissiere blasted his first professional homer with two men aboard to put the FredNats ahead 5-2.
Boissiere added a run-scoring double in the fifth inning to make it a four-RBI game, and Fredericksburg received a solid bullpen effort from Andrew Alvarez and Carlos Romero to take the game to the ninth. Amos Willingham got the final three outs to lock down a 6-2 win.
The series win was Fredericksburg's fifth of the season, and their fourth in a row at FredNats Ballpark. The FredNats finished the year winning 18 of their final 27 home games.
The FredNats will return to the field in April of 2022 for their second season of baseball in Fredericksburg.
The Fredericksburg Nationals are a minor league affiliate of the Washington Nationals in the Low-A East League. They are playing their inaugural 2021 season at the brand new, state-of-the-art FredNats Ballpark located at 42 Jackie Robinson Way next to the Fredericksburg Expo & Convention Center in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Stay up to date with the team online at www.frednats.com and follow the Fredericksburg Nationals on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @FXBGNats.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from September 19, 2021
- 2021 Season Ends with 2-1 Pelicans Loss to GreenJackets - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 'Birds Cap off 2021 Season with Electric Win over Red Sox - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Campbell Plays All Nine Positions and Earns Save in Season Finale Win - Carolina Mudcats
- FredNats End Inaugural Season with 6-2 Win - Fredericksburg Nationals
- RiverDogs Fall 5-2 in Final Game of Regular Season - Charleston RiverDogs
- White Tosses Seven No-Hit Innings in Woodies Win - Down East Wood Ducks
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - vs. Charleston - Down East Wood Ducks
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes vs Kannapolis - Columbia Fireflies
- FredNats Sweep Doubleheader on Fan Appreciation Night - Fredericksburg Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fredericksburg Nationals Stories
- Fred Nats to Promote Ally Chism to New Special Events and Hospitality Manager
- Jordy Barley Named Nationals Minor League Baserunner of the Year
- FredNats Oktoberfest Coming October 16
- FredNats Announce 2022 Regular Season Schedule
- FredNats End Inaugural Season with 6-2 Win