Four Orlando Pride Players Named as 2021 Allocated Players
ORLANDO, Fla. - The list of allocated players from the United States and Canada for the upcoming 2021 National Women's Soccer League season has been released, including four members of the Orlando Pride. Goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris, defender Ali Krieger and forward Alex Morgan have been allocated by the U.S. Soccer Federation, while goalkeeper Erin McLeod has been allocated by Canada Soccer. As allocated players, the four will have their salaries for the 2021 season paid by their respective federations.
Each of the Pride's three U.S. players were named to the 2020 edition of the list, while McLeod returns to Canada's allocation for the first time since 2015, the same year she started in net for all five of the nation's matches at the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup, recording three shutouts.
A native of St. Albert, McLeod has totaled 118 appearances for the Canada Women's National Team, 114 of which were starts with 45 clean sheets. Her last cap came on April 8, 2019 in a friendly against Nigeria. Signed ahead of the 2020 NWSL campaign, McLeod has yet to appear for the Pride due to the team's withdrawal from last year's NWSL Challenge Cup.
Harris appeared in three of the Pride's matches at the Fall Series a year ago, registering 14 saves throughout the competition. For the U.S., she earned one cap in 2020, keeping the clean sheet in an 8-0 victory over Panama in CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying.
One of four members of the Pride to play every minute of the NWSL Fall Series, Krieger returns to the U.S. Allocation list for the second-consecutive year and the seventh in her NWSL career. At the 2020 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying tournament, Krieger appeared in three matches for the U.S., playing every minute while helping the side to a shutout in each contest. On Feb. 3 against Costa Rica, she contributed on the offensive as well, with an assist to Christen Press in the 36th minute of the 6-0 victory.
Morgan rounds out the Pride earning 2021 allocation status, having appeared in one match for the U.S. a year ago, coming off the bench at halftime on Nov. 27 against the Netherlands to make her first appearance after giving birth to her first child earlier in the year. Since joining the Pride ahead of its inaugural season in 2016, Morgan sits at second in goals and assists in Club history with 18 and seven, respectively, recording 53 appearances in that span.
2021 NWSL Allocated Players List (by club):
Chicago Red Stars
Tierna Davidson (USA)
Julie Ertz (USA)
Casey Krueger (USA)
Alyssa Naeher (USA)
Mallory Pugh (USA)
Bianca St. Georges (CAN)*
Jane Campbell (USA)*
Allysha Chapman (CAN)
Kristie Mewis (USA)*
Nichelle Prince (CAN)
Sophie Schmidt (CAN)
Desiree Scott (CAN)
Diana Matheson (CAN)
North Carolina Courage
Samantha Mewis (USA)**
Lynn Williams (USA)*
Ashlyn Harris (USA)
Ali Krieger (USA)
Erin McLeod (CAN)*
Alex Morgan (USA)
Rose Lavelle (USA)**
Megan Rapinoe (USA)
Portland Thorns FC
Adrianna Franch (USA)
Becky Sauerbrunn (USA)
Christine Sinclair (CAN)
Sophia Smith (USA)*
Racing Louisville FC
Sky Blue FC
Carli Lloyd (USA)
Margaret "Midge" Purce (USA)*
Kailen Sheridan (CAN)
Kelley O'Hara (USA)
Emily Sonnett (USA)
Andi Sullivan (USA)*
* = New Allocated Player in 2021
** = Player who will receive an allocated salary from U.S. Soccer should they return to the NWSL for the 2021 Season
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from February 25, 2021
- Washington Spirit and Shenandoah University Announce New Partnership to Benefit Spirit Players, Shenandoah Students and Faculty and the Community - Washington Spirit
- NC Courage Announce Closed-Door Preseason Matches - North Carolina Courage
- KC NWSL Midfielders Included on 2021 Allocated Players List - Kansas City
- Six Chicago Red Stars Named to 2021 Allocated Player List - Chicago Red Stars
- NWSL Announces 2021 Allocated Players List - NWSL
- Andi Sullivan, Kelley O'Hara and Emily Sonnett Announced as US Allocated Players - Washington Spirit
- Four Orlando Pride Players Named as 2021 Allocated Players - Orlando Pride
- Sky Blue FC Allocated Three Players from U.S. Soccer and Canada Soccer - Sky Blue FC
- Lynn Williams Named An Allocated Player for the US Women's National Team in 2021 - North Carolina Courage
- Spirit Renew Partnership with SuperFD for the 2021 Season - Washington Spirit
- Racing Unveils Five-Game Preseason Schedule - Racing Louisville FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Pride Stories
- Pride Fall to Gotham FC in Return to Exploria Stadium
- Storylines: Orlando Pride vs. NJ/NY Gotham FC
- Orlando Pride Returns to Exploria Stadium to Face NJ/NY Gotham FC
- Know Your Opponent: NJ/NY Gotham FC
- Taylor Kornieck, Abi Kim Score for the Pride in 2-2 Draw at Racing Louisville FC