Four Bakersfield Players Among Candidates for Weekly Awards
BAKERSFIELD, CA - Each week, the af2 recognizes four outstanding individual performances through the U.S. Army Ironman of the Week, the Schutt Offensive Player of the Week, the ADT Defensive Player of the Week and the Cutters Catch of the Week awards.
This week, the Blitz had four players who were considered as candidates for the various awards based on the team's performance in a 58-52 win at Laredo. WR/DB NATHAN MUNSON (Upper Iowa '00) was a finalist for the U.S. Ironman of the Week. Munson had two interceptions, a forced fumble and a 50-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. The award went to Quad City Steamwheelers FB/LB Jermaine Petty, who had two touchdown runs, 1.5 tackles for loss, one sack, one fumble recovery and one pass breakup.
QB ALEX NEIST (Minnesota, '01) and WR/DB DERONN FINLEY (Idaho State, '00) were among the final candidates for the Schutt Offensive Player of the Week award. Neist was 7-10 for 155 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Finley was responsible for five Bakersfield touchdowns (3 receiving: 20, 45, 45; 2 rushing: 3, 1). The award went to Florida Firecats QB Chris Wallace, who was 21-29 for 268 yards with a week-high eight touchdowns.
Finally, DL BEN MCCOMBS (Mid American Nazarene (KS) '01) was among the finalists for the ADT Defensive Player of Week award in Week One. McCombs had three sacks and two tackles for loss. The award went to Tennessee Valley Vipers WR/DB Quentin Burrell. Burrell had six total tackles, one fumble recovery, three pass breakups and a 16-yard interception return for a touchdown.
Mahoning Valley Thunder WR Chris Archie took home the Cutters Catch of the Week award. He won for a leaping 32-yard touchdown grab in the third quarter that put the Thunder up over Tri-Cities, 27-7. He finished with a game-high 117 yards and three scores.
The Blitz will return home to Bakersfield on Saturday April 21 to take on the Stockton Lightning at 7 p.m. in the home opener. You can still get your season tickets today by calling the Blitz at 661-377-2548.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 3, 2007
- Four Bakersfield Players Among Candidates for Weekly Awards - Bakersfield Blitz
- Hawks, Old Country Buffet Team Up for Family Night - Everett Hawks
- Louisville Fire game notes - Louisville Fire
- Coyotes Prepare for First Game of 2007, Await the Everett Hawks - Central Valley Coyotes
- Dorados kick off 2007 season this Saturday night - Rio Grande Valley Dorados
- Corpus Christi Sharks Countdown to Kickoff - Corpus Christi Sharks
- af2 names week one honorees - af2
- Quarterback Competition Heightens With Wolves' First Trade - Manchester Wolves
- Kats Trade QB Ryan Porter to Manchester Wolves - Cincinnati Jungle Kats
- Wildcats Announce "Spring Break Ticket Promotion" - South Georgia Wildcats
- af2 Week One Recaps - af2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.